Cisco/Meraki VPN slows connection to 1mbps
es85

Cross posting from here because Verizon reps say to post in the Fios forum: https://community.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-4G-LTE-Router/Terribly-slow-download-speed-on-5G-Home-inter...

I have multiple Cisco/Meraki VPN connections managed by my employer. I upgraded from Comcast Xfinity Cable to Verizon 5G Home and overlapped the two ISPs by a few weeks so that I could test thoroughly.

On Comcast, my VPN connection is consistently 20mbps or better. Without VPN enabled, the connection is a measly 100-120mbps. On Verizon 5G Home, the exact same VPN connection is an unusable 1mbps within a couple of minutes of connecting, despite the fact that it's a blazing 300+mbps without the VPN enabled. Curiously, the connection runs at the expected 10-20mbps for the first minute or so after a gateway restart, but rapidly tapers to the stable 1mbps value. I know it's not my company's IT that's throttling the connection because it previously worked fine on Comcast with all other variables held constant.

I spent almost 2 hours with a Verizon tech troubleshooting this, to no avail. We tried connecting to the gateway on a wired connection, wireless, wifi 2.4GHz, wifi 5.0GHz, etc. We adjusted ports and added forwarding. The connection would run at 10mbps for a minute or two for a speedtest, and then taper off to 1mbps every time. Clearly Verizon is the one doing the throttling.

Some googling of old (~10 years ago) Verizon tickets and Reddit posts suggests that people used VPN connections to bypass the throttling applied by Verizon when they used jetpacks or hotspots. I'm guessing that Verizon closed that loophole, and now it's getting applied to 5G Home users.

If it matters, I'm connecting to a pretty basic Cisco Meraki VPN. VPN type is L2TP/IPsec with PAP protocol. I'm very technically savvy and would be happy to connect with a Verizon rep/dev to resolve this issue.

0 Likes
Re: Cisco/Meraki VPN slows connection to 1mbps
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

How are you connected to the 5G gateway, through WiFi or wired Ethernet?

es85

I've attempted wired, wireless 2.4GHz, and wireless 5.0GHz. Switching around between them usually resulted in a temporary 10mbps connection that rapidly slowed to 1mbps connection within ~1 minute.

0 Likes
es85

Still encountering this issue on a daily basis. It's such a problem that I've had to remote into a desktop located in the office just to interact with network resources. This shouldn't be necessary.

0 Likes