Fios Installation Inside Home, Can old Roadrunner cables be used
Tempest1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi I've been considering swtiching to Fios from Roadrunner for a while now since Fios became available for my area.  The only thing keeping me from making the jump is the wiring inside the home.  My furniture has been moved around quite a bit and I live in NY so there's not a lot of space to work with.  I wanted to know if the existing cables will be used inside the home.  I currently have Roadrunner and the cable runs in through the living room at the front of the house and the cable modem is set in my bedroom at the back of the house.  There's quite a bit of wiring running into the room and it would be a lot of trouble to remove, as well as install new wiring because I have furniture in the way of the walls.  

So I was wondering if anyone knew if the existing wiring inside the house is used with Fios or is there a new type of wiring that is used.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios Installation Inside Home, Can old Roadrunner cables be used
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

As long as the old Roadrummer cabling is in good shape, which it should if your Cable modem isn't disconnecting, Verizon should be able to re-use the existing Coax wiring. The techs will verify the integrity of the cabling, but a general rule of thumb is, if it's RG6, it should work nicely. Older RG59 cabling can technically be used, but it won't play nice with the higher freuqency MoCa signals and is often replaced for that particular reaosn.

View solution in original post

JustaGuy
Contributor - Level 2

@Tempest wrote:

Hi I've been considering swtiching to Fios from Roadrunner for a while now since Fios became available for my area.  The only thing keeping me from making the jump is the wiring inside the home.  My furniture has been moved around quite a bit and I live in NY so there's not a lot of space to work with.  I wanted to know if the existing cables will be used inside the home.  I currently have Roadrunner and the cable runs in through the living room at the front of the house and the cable modem is set in my bedroom at the back of the house.  There's quite a bit of wiring running into the room and it would be a lot of trouble to remove, as well as install new wiring because I have furniture in the way of the walls.  

So I was wondering if anyone knew if the existing wiring inside the house is used with Fios or is there a new type of wiring that is used.

They can and usually do use the existing cable int the house.  Unless the cable is really old, they only thing they need to change are splitters.  They run Optical to the ONT which can be located outside, in a garage or basement and then cable from there to the set top boxes in the house.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

As long as the old Roadrummer cabling is in good shape, which it should if your Cable modem isn't disconnecting, Verizon should be able to re-use the existing Coax wiring. The techs will verify the integrity of the cabling, but a general rule of thumb is, if it's RG6, it should work nicely. Older RG59 cabling can technically be used, but it won't play nice with the higher freuqency MoCa signals and is often replaced for that particular reaosn.