Resetting my Router Part 2
chartle
Enthusiast - Level 3

First let me tell you I'm a Computer/Network Professional so I kind of know how things should happen.

So I reset my Actiontech router to reset the password (tech never gave it to me) and now I'm not getting a WAN connection.

Here's how it went down.  I reset my router all the lights did their little show, everything came up and I then started to access the router.  Well while I was entering the password the router reset it self maybe two more times.  After it was done doing this,  the Coax light is green but the WAN light (the globe) is amber.  I logged into the router and it shows the Coax broadband connection is stuck on connecting.  I've reset it a few more times and also just powered it down after the reset with no joy.

I poked around inside the router and did see that Verizon hard coded the PPOE setting for the coax so I didn't have to fool with that like I had to a few years ago when I was setting up a customers FIOS service with a netgear router. 

So it looks like I have to call Verizon or should I just save the hold time and restart my ONT?

thanks cliff

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Resetting my Router Part 2
chartle
Enthusiast - Level 3

I sent you a PM, but everyhting is up.

thanks

PS Why didn't the other tech didn't reboot the ONT?  Also could I just have done this by power cycling the ONT?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

You can try to renew the dhcp lease by :

Click on the Broadband Connection on the main page

Next select your broadband connection (coax)

Select settings at the bottom of the page

Find the line that says DHCP Lease;  and hit renew

Let me know if this helps...If not i'll get Techman28 involved

0 Likes
chartle
Enthusiast - Level 3

I tried finding that but didn't see it.  Might have had something to do with it being 11:00 PM when I first looked at the problem and when I looked at it again at 6:20 AM.

I'm in a chat section with tech support as I type this and that's what they are doing from their end.

I'll just wait here to see what happens . . . . . . . . . Still waiting . . . . . . . . Not looking good asked me if any cables are loose . . . They now say that the router may have to be replaced . . . . Also asked me how long I held the button in for.

They are sending me a new router.  Could I have flushed out too much by holding the button in for too long?

Family is not going to be happy.Smiley Mad  If it was hooked up to Ethernet I could just hook up my old linksys.

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

I'm sending you a private message...

as for holding the reset too long, Doubt it.

You did say the coax wan light was steady, right?

0 Likes
chartle
Enthusiast - Level 3
The coax light (near the top) that I guess means it is the coax cable is plugged in  is steady green the WAN globe light underneath the coax light is amber
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
Do you have something plugged into the wan port? That plug should be vacant unless we were feeding the router by ethernet.
0 Likes
chartle
Enthusiast - Level 3

Nothing is in the Ethernet WAN port unless I lost my mind last night.  I'm not in front of it right now but I'm 99.9999 % sure. 

I am getting internet via the coax cable.

Message Edited by chartle on 02-05-2009 09:31 AM
0 Likes
chartle
Enthusiast - Level 3

I sent you a PM, but everyhting is up.

thanks

PS Why didn't the other tech didn't reboot the ONT?  Also could I just have done this by power cycling the ONT?

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
WIthout you being there to test each item it's hard to nail what the hold up was.  I'm suspecting it was renewing the DHCP that resolved it, but without you power cycling it after I released it... I couldn't tell from this end.
0 Likes