Should I upgrade to fios internet?
darkboy

I am wondering about the differences between fios and DSL internet, in term of speed and cost. I had DSL for 10 years. My parents said that my internet plan is combined with my verizon home phone, which I had for 17 years. If I was to upgrade my internet, do I have to upgrade my phone? I need a way to convince my parent to get fios internet. They are concern with price. My parents are currently paying $20~$30 (including tax) for my home phone and internet.

0 Likes
Re: Should I upgrade to fios internet?
prisaz
Legend

@darkboy wrote:

I am wondering about the differences between fios and DSL internet, in term of speed and cost. I had DSL for 10 years. My parents said that my internet plan is combined with my verizon home phone, which I had for 17 years. If I was to upgrade my internet, do I have to upgrade my phone? I need a way to convince my parent to get fios internet. They are concern with price. My parents are currently paying $20~$30 (including tax) for my home phone and internet.

The lowest cost double play bundle is like $69 Internet and Phone. Taxes can run about $20, but if you can get digital voice, it saves a bit on taxes. So you are looking at about $85-$89 a month for 15/5 speed, unlimited long distance and other features that all cost extra on a standard phone line. I have been with FiOS since 2005 and have never looked back. Best move I have ever made.

My Phone with long distance was at about $65, Plus Internet 1.5/768 was about $50. Total over $100 easy. I went from 1.5/768 to 15/2 with the long distance and phone features that no longer cost extra. Make your choice.

http://www22.verizon.com/home/bundles/fios/

0 Likes
davelanger
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you have a cellphone on verizon I bet you can save some money too. My parents have verizon wireless, fios tv, internet, and home phone, and the save more because of verizon wireless , so ask about that too

0 Likes
Bob1692
Contributor - Level 1

We had DSL and phone service (local only) through AT&T. We recently converted to Verizon FiOS and get 10x the internet speed and unlimited (CONUS) calls for only $10 more a month.  If we would have taken the default Double Play Internet speed instead of 25 down/25 up, we would have been paying the same as we did for 1.5 down/128k up and only local service with AT&T.

Either way, FiOS seems to be the way to go.  Just be sure you know what you want when you order it to avoid any confusion and mis-communication when you put your order in for FiOS.