Slow Upload and Download Speeds
mrm1233

Hi.

About 2 months ago I changed from Cablevision's triple Play to Verizon's FIOS.  We ordered the 35 Mbps upload and 35 mbps dowload speeds.  However, when I do a number of "speed tests" on different sites, including on Verizon's, the results are always slower.  I've contacted Verizon Fios via email but they haven't responded it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks very much.

0 Likes
Re: Slow Upload and Download Speeds
prisaz
Legend

@mrm1233 wrote:

Hi.

About 2 months ago I changed from Cablevision's triple Play to Verizon's FIOS.  We ordered the 35 Mbps upload and 35 mbps dowload speeds.  However, when I do a number of "speed tests" on different sites, including on Verizon's, the results are always slower.  I've contacted Verizon Fios via email but they haven't responded it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks very much.

How slow? Give some examples. Many test sites can not keep up with FiOS.

Try this one and post results.

http://www2.verizon.net/micro/speedtest/java/

Have you run the optimizer?

What operating system are you running?

Are you running the test via a hard wired connection or wireless?

There have been many postings about speed, and issues vary depending on the above.

Here is a link to my experience with 35/35 and only getting 35/15. Someone's origional posting and my update.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Why-do-I-only-get-35-15-on-a-35-35-plan/m-p/195739#M13415

Here is a search for FiOS Speed, and what others have experienced.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?advanced=true&filter=acceptedSolutions%2C...

mrm1233

Thank you for your response prisaz.

I'm operating Windows XP Home SP3.

Again, I ordered the 35 Mbps upload and 35 Mbps dowload speeds.  However, when I do a number of "speed tests" on different sites, including on Verizon's, [using your link below] I received 35.69 Mbps Download and 25.39 Upload. 

1. On Speedtest.com I received 9.61 Upload and 40.67 Download-
  2. On SpeakEasy I received 4.27 Upload and 36 Mbps download

I'll run the optimizer again and then submit the results.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@mrm1233 wrote:

Thank you for your response prisaz.

I'm operating Windows XP Home SP3.

Again, I ordered the 35 Mbps upload and 35 Mbps dowload speeds.  However, when I do a number of "speed tests" on different sites, including on Verizon's, [using your link below] I received 35.69 Mbps Download and 25.39 Upload. 

1. On Speedtest.com I received 9.61 Upload and 40.67 Download-
  2. On SpeakEasy I received 4.27 Upload and 36 Mbps download

I'll run the optimizer again and then submit the results.

Thanks again.

Are you running the test via a hard wired connection or wireless?

I do not know about speedtest.com. Speakeasy can not handle the upload speed at all. speedtest.net gets much better results.

Also look at your ONT. If it is a model 610 they will replace it no charge. You will need to open the door on the unit to see the model number.

FiOS Speed Test

Speed Test Analysis Information

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [522720]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 36.19Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 35.71Mb/s
Example.
I transfered 4.7 gig from my house to work in about 16-18 minutes through a secure shell connection. Now that is fast.
mrm1233

Thanks again prisaz.

My PC has a hard wired connection.  I think I'll have to contact Verizon as to whether or not the ONT is 610 or not (I can't open the door).

Thank again.  I appreciate it and I'll let you know what's doing.

0 Likes