Trouble logging into my Verizon router.
Jambo3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just got fios in our condo and have a 9100vm router from Verizon. Internet connection is very flaky, for instance, I have to constantly input my email credentials, and game connections to steam or battlenet are constantly dropping..

Anyway, one problem/symptom is that I can't consistently log into the router.. Sometimes it lets me in othertimes not.. But whenever I am in I will get disconnected within a minute and it ask for credentials again over and over. When I am in, I see other Moca? devices that belong to the other person in our complex that has fios. Not sure if that is correct. Fios phone support said that's ok?

They replaced the router, and while the Tech was here, he couldn't even login a few times.. Finally did and then said all is ok and ran....So that didn't fix anything.

FYI, to keep it simple this happens on a wired connection, and on 3 different computers (one a ubuntu box).

Anyhelp would be appreciated, Calling fios has been a waste, I can't seem to get past tier one support folks, who have me swapping cables, and resetting the routers..been there done that at least 10 times. The last time the guy had me flush the dns and said that would take 10 minutes and to call back then..lol. 

The original tech who installed this said our building has "new" setup because it uses coax cable and the copper phone line to get from the mpoe up to our condo..so they don't have to run fiber up to each unit.. Not sure if this info helps..but any advice will help, I don't want to go back to TWC..

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Trouble logging into my Verizon router.
prisaz
Legend

@lasagna wrote:

OK ... so they're probably using a small DSLAM in the building ... basically a short run vDSL circuit for the internet (which can achieve speeds upwards of 52mbs).  The issue here however is that the STB's are all going to bind to one person's MoCA interface (unless they turn that off on the routers) and use that person's network for their VoD and Guide.   More importantly, there's an interesting security hole there unless they are configuring different MoCA keys or using different frequencies.   They should probably be filtering out the MoCA LAN frequencies between units so that you're not on the same network as your neighbors.

Not sure I like the security ramifications of the setup.   Would be interesting if someone who has this setup installed could post more details or configuration details from the routers.   Almost sounds like the technician didn't turn something off that they should have.  You (or your neighbor) should never be able to see each other's private LAN-side networks.

What happens if you disconnect the Coax from the router?   Do the STB's still function (Guide, VoD, etc.).   I'm betting it's not supposed to be connected in this type of setup.

They should have a low pass filter on the coax entering the Unit. 5-860mhz so the MOCA does not leave the unit. The IP comes over a VDSL circuit from the Multi Dwelling Unit ONT, to the routers in each unit. The MOCA in the unit should not be able to send the 1150mhz back out to the other units. Verizon should make a road trip and fix the install with a box of these filters. Yes if the routers MOCA are all seeing each other, then there is going to be big trouble. The COAX outside of each unit should be for the QAM RF only.

I would say changing the IP is not the solution and as stated conflicting MOCA routers will be a big issue. Mark the above solution unsolved and get Verizon on the road.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the exact brand, model, and ver of your router?

For example: Actiontec, MI-424-MI, Rev C.

#2 If you do not have at least two game consoles behind this router, turn off UPnP in the router.

This is done in the router at Advanced -> UPnP.

By game consoles, any two..

a) For example: X-box, PlayStation.

b) A special type of computer with no keyboard or mouse. And it is usually connected to a TV.

0 Likes
Jambo3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Its a Westell A90-9100VM15-10 Ver B.

Don't have any games consoles connected..

0 Likes
Jambo3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok folks.. Solved it myself.

I noticed that Moca devices that belonged to my neighbor all had the same ip range. So I always thought both our routers were trying to use the same ip 192.168.1.1 since we have to share coax connection

So I asked him to turn of his router for a few minutes, and sure enough I could connect to my router. I quickly changed my routers config to start using another IP range.. and everything is working perfectly YEAH...

The problem is that I spent hours with verizon techs who where all useless. One said it was impossible for me the change my routers ip to something else. One said its fine for a bunch of other folks Moca devices to show up, another who said it wasn't at all.One said to flush my dns and wait 10 minutes and call back, obviously he just wanted off the phone..All them thought I didn't know my routers password.... so they made reset that router to defaults everytime..

I am sure there are competent folks there but it seems impossible to past level one support..

Also as I was writing this I just realized, I didn't need to bother my neighbor, I should have just disconnected the coax cable going to my router and then reconfigured my router..duh.

Hopefully someone can use this info. Also love to hear from anyone else who might see something wrong with this setup.

Thanks

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

That is great to hear/read.

Please mark the thread as solved.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Really?  You and your neighbor are on the same cable plant?  Generally that should never be the case because there's a good chance you'll get cross-connected to one or the other's Internet connection.  

0 Likes
Jambo3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, the coax cable are on the same block.. The installer said it the "new" system they are using in building like ours. It's a 13 unit 4 story condo building. The equipement they mounted in the phone/cable room has one alcatel-lucent box it has one coax out to a 8 port coax splitter and then they use the old phone copper also.

My router is connected via a simple RJ11 phone cable and the coax. Then all stb's are connect via only the existing coax.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK ... so they're probably using a small DSLAM in the building ... basically a short run vDSL circuit for the internet (which can achieve speeds upwards of 52mbs).  The issue here however is that the STB's are all going to bind to one person's MoCA interface (unless they turn that off on the routers) and use that person's network for their VoD and Guide.   More importantly, there's an interesting security hole there unless they are configuring different MoCA keys or using different frequencies.   They should probably be filtering out the MoCA LAN frequencies between units so that you're not on the same network as your neighbors.

Not sure I like the security ramifications of the setup.   Would be interesting if someone who has this setup installed could post more details or configuration details from the routers.   Almost sounds like the technician didn't turn something off that they should have.  You (or your neighbor) should never be able to see each other's private LAN-side networks.

What happens if you disconnect the Coax from the router?   Do the STB's still function (Guide, VoD, etc.).   I'm betting it's not supposed to be connected in this type of setup.

prisaz
Legend

@lasagna wrote:

They should have a low pass filter on the coax entering the Unit. 5-860mhz so the MOCA does not leave the unit. The IP comes over a VDSL circuit from the Multi Dwelling Unit ONT, to the routers in each unit. The MOCA in the unit should not be able to send the 1150mhz back out to the other units. Verizon should make a road trip and fix the install with a box of these filters. Yes if the routers MOCA are all seeing each other, then there is going to be big trouble. The COAX outside of each unit should be for the QAM RF only.

I would say changing the IP is not the solution and as stated conflicting MOCA routers will be a big issue. Mark the above solution unsolved and get Verizon on the road.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Now that makes perfect sense prisaz.   Sounds to me like the installer failed to insert the low pass filter in each unit to filter off the signals.  You definitely want this fixed both for security reasons as well as to prevent someone else from stealing your bandwidth.   Time for a truck roll I think.

Just to be clear ... your "neighbor" is in another unit in the same building, correct?   Not a roommate in the same unit or something.

0 Likes