Ask The Expert: Have a Question about using your own Router with Fios? The Expert is Here!
Nilsa_VZ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you have questions about using your own Router with Fios?

JustinG, one of our Subject Matter Experts on "Using Your Own Router with Fios", will be here to answer your Router questions.

How does this event work? Come to this Ask The Expert Board and post your question by Wednesday, October 16th.

JustinG will do his best to answer your questions by Wednesday, October 23rd.

Why should I come to the "Ask The Expert" session?

• Do you need basic info on Routers?

• Do you need to learn how to use Routers?

• Do you need to learn how to use your own Router with Fios?

• Are you getting the most out of your Router?

• Do you have specific issues that you have been trying to troubleshoot?

The event will occur on the Ask The Expert section of the Fios Community.

We are looking forward to answering your questions by Wednesday, October 23rd! 

Verizon Logo
Nilsa
Community Manager

Community Manager
Community Manager II
Labels (1)
3 Solutions

Correct answers
Re: Ask The Expert: Have a Question about using your own Router with Fios? The Expert is Here!
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello!

The pros and cons for owning your own router varies for every situation, but in general, the following usually counts:

Some Pros:

• Cost savings (Eliminating the monthly router rental fee from Verizon - often times in the long run using your own router can save you quite a bit)
  • For techies, more advanced control over your local network
  • Depending on your situation, better performance than Verizon's router

Some Cons:

• Older FiOS installations require you to run an ethernet cable to your optical network terminal, which is usually located in an inconvient part of the house.
  • Some FiOS specific features may be lost such as Caller ID on TV, remote DVR, etc.

Which router to purchase relies heavily on your specific needs. If you're looking for a simple router to just replace the Verizon router, most generic off-the-shelf routers will suffice. Personally, I'm a fan of TP-Link's products for a simple, no-nonsense router.

Another option would be planning out your network beyond a simple router. Often times, the places where our router lives isn't actually the best location for optimal WiFi signal. If this is the case, you could purchase a hardwired router (I prefer the EdgeRouter X from Ubiquiti as the most feature-rich for the price), and have separate WiFi Access points (such as the Unifi AC Lite) spread out throughout your house for best performance. This is usually a good option if you're in the process of a new home build (or renovation) where running cabling is an option.

Lastly, if you're just looking to get better WiFi coverage than the normal Verizon router, you could look into Unifi's plug and play Amplifi system. This system creates a wireless mesh network throughout your house for maximum WiFi strength. Although personally I would definitely suggest to hardwire your WiFi access points if at all possible. WiFi is a shared spectrum, so the more devices you have repeating the signal, the more noise is generated, and the worse your experience will be. Mesh systems are great if you live in the suburbs with some distance between you and your neighbor's router, but if you live in a dense urban environment, I'd advise you to avoid mesh systems.

Please do let me know if you have any more questions Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Re: Ask The Expert: Have a Question about using your own Router with Fios? The Expert is Here!
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello Henry219!

Yes, for me personally constant software updates are a huge deciding factor. If a device comes from a manufacturer that has a history of dropping support for their routers after 1-2 years, I wouldn't buy their product. All too often the routers out there run for years without any updates, all while new issues appear constantly. For example, the KRACK vulnerability that occurred in 2017 left thousands of unpatched routers with glaring WiFi vulnerabilities. Let alone the tons of other vulnerabilities that plague residential routers.

Because of that reason, I personally like to suggest Ubiquiti's Edgerouter X router paired with a Unifi wifi access point for tech-savvy users. Ubiquiti provides firmware and security updates all the time, and the router itself offers tons of enterprise-level features for a bare minimum price. It also comes with a great GUI and setup wizards, so you don't have to be a crazy network geek to figure it out!

If you're looking for a simpler option, Ubiquiti also makes a simpler plug-and-play system called Amplifi. This system also gets lots of updates from Ubiquiti, while also having a super user-friendly interface. While I am personally a huge fan of Ubiquiti's products, I've helped others use the popular Netgear Nighthawk router with great success.

Based on my experience, most newer routers out there in 2019 seem to be pretty decent. In terms of routers to avoid, I would suggest being suspicious of mesh WiFi systems. As mentioned above, your mileage may vary. If you live in the middle of nowhere, those systems work pretty well. If you live in a urban apartment building, your experience will be pretty mediocre, as WiFi signals will just interfere with your neighbor's, and in the end nobody wins. Nothing beats a hardwired connection to a device in those cases.

Out of curiosity, what is your reasoning for using your own router? Are you looking for better network performance, or more just to remove the rental fee? Your intended usage would determine the best router to get.

If you don't use the FiOS branded router, some service will be impacted such as caller ID on screen, and remote DVR. On demand and guide services can still work! You'll need a plug-and-play device called a MoCA Bridge. This device bridges your internet connection from your router, and sends the connection over coax cable. This allows your TV boxes to access the Internet, and access On Demand and TV Guide. They can be pretty expensive as standalone devices, so another option if you're feeling crafty is to pick up an old Verizon Aciontec router (you can find them for cheap on ebay, $10 or so), and use this guide to set it up to act as a MoCA bridge. I've done this setup for at least a dozen home FiOS users with FiOS tv without issues for years.

Also, the ability to mange your WiFi password and such from the Verizon website would also no longer work. Otherwise however, FiOS services shouldn't be impacted (such as phone).

Please do let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks for asking!

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

CamelotKniggit,

It appears you have done everything correctly. I had a user report that while the DSLReports article for keeping callerID and remote DVR did work back in 2018, they have since had issues with functionality.

Apologies, I personally don't use those two features, so I haven't checked on if this setup still works. I'll run some tests on my network over the next couple days to see if I can get it working and report back.

Thanks!

Kh-Silke
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Hi Justin,

I have been thinking about getting my own router. What are the pros and cons of having my own? What should I look out for when purchasing my own? Any tips you can give me? 

Thanks in advance.

Henry219
Enthusiast - Level 1

I too have been looking into getting my own router and would like your expert router recommendations.

• Do you personally recommend router manufacturers that provide consist updates and if so which are the best routers for that? 
  • Based on your experience, what routers in the market should be avoided? 
  • If I don't use a Fios Router, would I lose the video on demand, the guide, etc?

Looking forward to your responses before making my decision. Thanks. 

CamelotKniggit
Enthusiast - Level 1

I hope you can help!  I'm trying to get Remote DVR and Caller ID working again after replacing the Verizon Quantum router with my own Nighthawk X8. 

I purchased a coax to ethernet Actiontec MoCA adapter to handle the VOD/Guide info for the STBs.  It's plugged into the coax that went to the Quantum router and the ethernet connection plugged into a LAN port on my Nighthawk.  I no longer have the Quantum, as I returned it.  Everything is working fine - Internet, TV, Phone etc...

However, if I use the Fios TV app while on my local WiFi network, the Remote DVR features work (I can program to record/stop recording).  On the other hand, internet-based Remote DVR fails, and Caller ID doesn't come up during the test.

I've reviewed numerous posts on Vz forums and elsewhere regarding port forwarding .  I understand port forwarding and have tried many combinations of the info posted, but nothing seems to work.  The info I assume to be correct is:

Port forward UDP 63145 to my only DVR XXX.XXX.XXX.100

Port forward TCP 35000 to the DVR as well XXX.XXX.XXX.100

Port forward TCP 35001 to STB1 XXX.XXX.XXX.101

Port forward TCP 35002 to STB2 XXX.XXX.XXX.102

I've assigned static IPs to the DVR and STBs... rebooted and the guides, On Demand, DVR etc all works - just not Remove DVR control.

Did I need to setup my Nighthawk with the Quantum MAC for this to work?  If so, since I don't have it any longer, what are my options?  Am I missing something else?  Are the ports correct?  Are there other local ports on the DVR/STB that need to be mapped in this?

Thanks in advance!

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello!

The pros and cons for owning your own router varies for every situation, but in general, the following usually counts:

Some Pros:

• Cost savings (Eliminating the monthly router rental fee from Verizon - often times in the long run using your own router can save you quite a bit)
  • For techies, more advanced control over your local network
  • Depending on your situation, better performance than Verizon's router

Some Cons:

• Older FiOS installations require you to run an ethernet cable to your optical network terminal, which is usually located in an inconvient part of the house.
  • Some FiOS specific features may be lost such as Caller ID on TV, remote DVR, etc.

Which router to purchase relies heavily on your specific needs. If you're looking for a simple router to just replace the Verizon router, most generic off-the-shelf routers will suffice. Personally, I'm a fan of TP-Link's products for a simple, no-nonsense router.

Another option would be planning out your network beyond a simple router. Often times, the places where our router lives isn't actually the best location for optimal WiFi signal. If this is the case, you could purchase a hardwired router (I prefer the EdgeRouter X from Ubiquiti as the most feature-rich for the price), and have separate WiFi Access points (such as the Unifi AC Lite) spread out throughout your house for best performance. This is usually a good option if you're in the process of a new home build (or renovation) where running cabling is an option.

Lastly, if you're just looking to get better WiFi coverage than the normal Verizon router, you could look into Unifi's plug and play Amplifi system. This system creates a wireless mesh network throughout your house for maximum WiFi strength. Although personally I would definitely suggest to hardwire your WiFi access points if at all possible. WiFi is a shared spectrum, so the more devices you have repeating the signal, the more noise is generated, and the worse your experience will be. Mesh systems are great if you live in the suburbs with some distance between you and your neighbor's router, but if you live in a dense urban environment, I'd advise you to avoid mesh systems.

Please do let me know if you have any more questions Smiley Happy

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello Henry219!

Yes, for me personally constant software updates are a huge deciding factor. If a device comes from a manufacturer that has a history of dropping support for their routers after 1-2 years, I wouldn't buy their product. All too often the routers out there run for years without any updates, all while new issues appear constantly. For example, the KRACK vulnerability that occurred in 2017 left thousands of unpatched routers with glaring WiFi vulnerabilities. Let alone the tons of other vulnerabilities that plague residential routers.

Because of that reason, I personally like to suggest Ubiquiti's Edgerouter X router paired with a Unifi wifi access point for tech-savvy users. Ubiquiti provides firmware and security updates all the time, and the router itself offers tons of enterprise-level features for a bare minimum price. It also comes with a great GUI and setup wizards, so you don't have to be a crazy network geek to figure it out!

If you're looking for a simpler option, Ubiquiti also makes a simpler plug-and-play system called Amplifi. This system also gets lots of updates from Ubiquiti, while also having a super user-friendly interface. While I am personally a huge fan of Ubiquiti's products, I've helped others use the popular Netgear Nighthawk router with great success.

Based on my experience, most newer routers out there in 2019 seem to be pretty decent. In terms of routers to avoid, I would suggest being suspicious of mesh WiFi systems. As mentioned above, your mileage may vary. If you live in the middle of nowhere, those systems work pretty well. If you live in a urban apartment building, your experience will be pretty mediocre, as WiFi signals will just interfere with your neighbor's, and in the end nobody wins. Nothing beats a hardwired connection to a device in those cases.

Out of curiosity, what is your reasoning for using your own router? Are you looking for better network performance, or more just to remove the rental fee? Your intended usage would determine the best router to get.

If you don't use the FiOS branded router, some service will be impacted such as caller ID on screen, and remote DVR. On demand and guide services can still work! You'll need a plug-and-play device called a MoCA Bridge. This device bridges your internet connection from your router, and sends the connection over coax cable. This allows your TV boxes to access the Internet, and access On Demand and TV Guide. They can be pretty expensive as standalone devices, so another option if you're feeling crafty is to pick up an old Verizon Aciontec router (you can find them for cheap on ebay, $10 or so), and use this guide to set it up to act as a MoCA bridge. I've done this setup for at least a dozen home FiOS users with FiOS tv without issues for years.

Also, the ability to mange your WiFi password and such from the Verizon website would also no longer work. Otherwise however, FiOS services shouldn't be impacted (such as phone).

Please do let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks for asking!

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

CamelotKniggit,

It appears you have done everything correctly. I had a user report that while the DSLReports article for keeping callerID and remote DVR did work back in 2018, they have since had issues with functionality.

Apologies, I personally don't use those two features, so I haven't checked on if this setup still works. I'll run some tests on my network over the next couple days to see if I can get it working and report back.

Thanks!