Actiontec Dynamic DNS with changeip.com
claxon

I have the Actiontec MI-424WR Rev. I.  The firmware is version 40.21.10.2.

I'm having a very difficult time getting Dynamic DNS to communicate properly with the providers that are listed in the dropdown box.  I tried dyndns and no-ip but those didn't work because the URLs listed in the actiontec are no longer valid (they're redirected) so I get the message that those sites don't exist.  I can get changeip.com to communicate, but I always get a error (I've got a ticket open with them).

Has anyone been able to successfully get one of the 7 listed providers to work? (dyndns.org, no-ip.com, changeip.com, tzo.com,  ods.org, easydns.com or zoneedit.com).  It's frustrating that the interface is not more flexible.

Thanks.image

0 Likes
Re: Actiontec Dynamic DNS with changeip.com
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

I downloaded the DynDns client and run it on one of my machines

Think you can do the same by downloading the homing beacon installer from the support page of ChangeIp

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

I am running a paid version of Dynamic DNS on my Actiontec.  I works very well no problems.

In fact the paid version allows me to have up to 30 domain names and I have three names setup on the Actiontec and they are all populated correctly with my public IP as assigned by FIOS.   (The address is the same for all three names.)

I have no problem connecting with my network from anywhere and the various port forwarding rules I have set all work.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Guess they must have updated the firmware on the newer routers.  My Westell has the same issue as the OP's router where the embedded url's are ainvalid addresses and there is no way to overide them.

I guess I could change that setup now as I have now replaced the Verizon gateway router with my own router which does work fine with DynDNS

0 Likes
adamsfour
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same issue. No luck ith help from either version or by DNS service

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@adamsfour wrote:

I am having the same issue. No luck ith help from either version or by DNS service

Did you try downloading the client from the provider and using that instead of the canned stuff on the router?  

I find that works with no issue.

0 Likes
ceth078a

Hello, I had the exact same problem.  It think some have answered your question with a brief run an update client but not too clear.  So I thought I append my experience here.

It seem Verison FiOS router is not very flexible.  You can't enter another Dynamic DNS (DDNS) and can only use one on the list. The only two free one I found was no-ip.com and changeip.com. 

The no-ip.com came back with a host not found cause they've changed the name to noip.com (without the dash) so the dumb router is not able to find it.

The changeip.com is no help either as you've found out.  I keep getting Error but it does not say why.  Fortunetely I did found a solution.  You can download changeip.com's DDNS Update Client (for Windows, Linux, or OSX).  The called this software as Homeing Beacon.

http://www.changeip.com/accounts/downloads.php

In Windows it runs as a self startup service so you don't to remember to run it but you will need a Windows PC to be on for the update to occur.  Basically instead of updating changeip.com's DDNS entry from the router, you have a Windows client that somehow figures out what the router's IP and act as a proxy agent and update your DNS entry on changeip.com.  This is a workable workaround, I think.  The drawback is you need a PC running every so often on your home network so updates occur.

0 Likes