Actiontec MI424WR Parental Control Rule Names and Descriptions
Mark-Texas

I’ve created multiple parental control rules on my Actiontec MI424WR, entering different rule names and descriptions, but the Rule Summary displays all rule names as “Block_All” and all descriptions as “Blocking ALL Internet Access”. The rules function as expected, but it’s inconvenient that I cannot tell which is which in the summary. Is this a bug with this router?

Also, does Verizon offer a wireless-N router?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Actiontec MI424WR Parental Control Rule Names and Descriptions
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

The purpose of my post is to inform you that when using Parental Controls on the Actiontec router your download speed will be cut in 1/2.  You may be better off installing parental controls onto a PC/Laptop.  Verizon does offer parental control software for free along with Microsoft and some others.  I'm not sure if this is an option for you but something to consider.

Regards

Jim

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

The purpose of my post is to inform you that when using Parental Controls on the Actiontec router your download speed will be cut in 1/2.  You may be better off installing parental controls onto a PC/Laptop.  Verizon does offer parental control software for free along with Microsoft and some others.  I'm not sure if this is an option for you but something to consider.

Regards

Jim

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

www.verizon.com/freetools to download parental control software.  it's better than doing it at the router for the reason stated above, and also because of the quirk that you are seeing.  I believe that is a limitation of the router software.   

0 Likes
mjbagdon

I agree.  When you block all access to the internet, you cannot enter the rule name.  If you "allow" certain websites, then the rule names work.  However, then the blocking seems to function sporatically and lets in some websites but not others.  This sortware is not well constructed at all.  Very annoying to try to use.

0 Likes
mjbagdon

This is not just annoying - it is a travesty.  If they can't design software for controlling your children's use of the internet, they should not put it on there at all.  It is a piece of trash!

0 Likes