Actiontec Modem/Router
larrye
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an Actiontec MI424 and it is always giving me problems with dropped connections all day long - it's starting to become a nuisance. I'm talking when the laptop is literally 3 ft away from it (so we're not talking about the signal having to to navigate its way through the house). And the very same laptop performs just fine on every other wireless network I've ever used it on. Why does Verizon use such offbrand modems/routers? You have Linksys and Netgear out there which it would seen are much higher quality.

Has anyone had this problem? And if so, were you able to resolve it?

0 Likes
Re: Actiontec Modem/Router
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@larrye wrote:

Why does Verizon use such offbrand modems/routers? You have Linksys and Netgear out there which it would seen are much higher quality.

Has anyone had this problem? And if so, were you able to resolve it?

1. Actiontec and Westell were willing to build routers to Verizon specs

2. MONEY-  Actiontec and Westell are cheaper. This is the primary reason. Verizon doesnt guarentee a wireless signal and therefore do not consider it to be worth their while to provide

Yes, MANY people have problems with the wireless on the Actiontec and Westell. Many people just add another router (linksys, netgear, Dlink, ect.) to the network and just use them for the wireless. Basically just using the Verizon like a modem.

larrye
Enthusiast - Level 2

So you're basically saying that I should disable the wireless signal on my Actiontec, then connect an Ethernet up to my Netgear, and then use the Netgear as the wireless router, right?

0 Likes
Peony04

I used to have alot of problems with this same router as well. I ended up having to reset the router and it solved the issue for me. BTW I actually DID have a  Linksys router hooked up before and Verizon told me that was part of the problem. Try resetting it with the button on the back and see if it helps. A new router from verizon sets you back $140. Good Luck!

0 Likes
larrye
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. I had already tried resetting it multiple times. The Verizon Actiontec sucks. I just connected my Netgear hardwired to the Actiontec and turned off the Actiontec wireless. So far, it's like night and day. Performance is much better also. I appreciate the help, though.

0 Likes