Actiontec router and GRE protocol support (IP protocol 47)
afsanderson

I am attempting to setup my own local IPv6 network, but to get out to the IPv6 Internet I need to be able to have my IPv6 packets encapsulated in IPv4 packets.  To do this I need the Actiontec router to support Generic rout encapsulation protocol (IP protocol 47).  Can anyone tell me if the Actiontec router supports this protocol and if so how I would enable it?

If the router does not support GRE protocol, is there a way I can set up a DMZ between the cable modem portion of the Actiontec router and the routers firewall so that I can connect my IPv6 router, with its own firewall, directly to the cable modem?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Actiontec router and GRE protocol support (IP protocol 47)
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is NO cable modem.  The FiOS device is a router.

You can designate an internal Ip address as exposed - DMZ.  I guess you could add your router there however all traffic will still pass through the Verizon router.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is NO cable modem.  The FiOS device is a router.

You can designate an internal Ip address as exposed - DMZ.  I guess you could add your router there however all traffic will still pass through the Verizon router.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

IPV6 is supported on SOME of the routers, but not yet for FIOS network.  A few business customers supposively have it and some beta testers.  Within my home I do have IPV6 active, you do need to activate IPV6 on your router it if supports it

0 Likes
afsanderson

So if I can find a switch that takes coax in, on the WAN side, and RJ45 out on the LAN side I should be able to create my own DMZ?

No modem required to take the signal in off of the coax?

0 Likes
afsanderson

Are you able to get out to the IPv6 Internet from your local IPv6 network?

At this time all my external traffic is still IPv4.  IPv6 encapsulated in an IPv4 packet would be ok, but that is not what I am seeing.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can tunnel out using HE's tunnelbroker or similar service .  https://www.tunnelbroker.net/

Otherwise no, it uses ipv4 (and doesn't know how to encapsulate) at this time unless you are one of those limited number of business paying for an ipv6 connection.  Doesn't stop IPV6 from working within your intranet.

Several of us CL's are pestering FIOS to post some sort of updates and schedule for IPV6 general rollout.  So far even are contact within Verizon can not get updated information.

afsanderson

Thanks for all the replys.  I believe I know what I need to do now.

0 Likes