Actiontec WCB3000N Not Working
Marullos
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi, 

I purchased an Actiontec WCB3000N. I have Fios Quantuma Gateway router.  I connected the WCB3000N  to a verizin fios cable I have on my basement, which was installed 5 years ago and I have never used. Then I plug in the power adapter. The WCB3000N turns on, but the Coax light does not turn green.  It casts a wifi network, but when I connect to it, it has no internet. 

What could  be the issue? I took a look at the Router status on the router's management page, and under Coax status it says cable disconnected.  What does this mean - is this something Verizon needs to turn on for my router? Or does this mean that there are no coaxial cables connected to the ONT? Have been trying to contact Verizon support all day and have reached no one :-(.

Thank you very much  for your help. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Actiontec WCB3000N Not Working
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is likely that one of the "hanging" cables is the one to which you connected the WCB3000N and thus why things aren't working.   It is not uncommon to NOT connect cables to outlets that aren't being used -- if you connect a cable that runs to an unused outlet, you are sort of creating an antenna thru which signal can leak into your cable plant and cause interference (unless you put a terminator on the connection where it comes up).   Depending on where you live and the amount of "noise" in your environment, this may or may not be an issue (I live at the base of a mountain with several radio/tv towers on top and let's just say I can get the local radio station on my toaster at times due to the amount of radio noise).

So, locate which cable it is that runs outside -- if it's near the ONT, open the user side of the ONT and disconnect the coax cable there and attach it along with the cable you located to a splitter and then, using a short length of coax, attach the splitter to the ONT port you just disconnected.   Should do the trick.

Optionally, you could insert the splitter where the coax from upstairs runs thru the basement and attach a piece of cable and splitter there to service your basement location.   However, this would probably involve cutting and splicing the coax -- which if aren't familiar with doing this properly and have the right tools -- I would not recommend doing.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

There’s nothing to turn on from Verizon. The coax connected to your G1100 and your WCB3000N need to be connected to a cable splitter. To test you can move the WCB3000N next to the G1100 and connect directly to the G1100’s coax port. 

Marullos
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you so much for your help. 

Ok, so the G1100 has one coax port, this port has a cable in it. Are you saying I should add a cable splitter to this port, and then connect the original coax cable to the splitter, and then another coax cable from splitter to to my WCB3000N? The thing then is that I thought I could have the WCB3000N in my basement to extend the network, so this wouldn't be of use? Unless I got a super long coax cable which I'm trying to avoid.

OR, are you saying that to test I should remove the original coax cable from the G1100 and use another coax cable to directly connect the WCB3000N to the G1100?  (how would the G1100 get its internet though?) 

I'm sorry for not understanding just yet. Thank you!

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I’m just saying that for testing purposes. Take the coax out of the G1100 and connect them directly with a short coax. This way If the coax light comes on then you know the 3000N is good.

You probably have a main splitter in yout basement somewhere. Just make sure the cables going to the 3000N and G1100 are connected. 

Marullos
Enthusiast - Level 1

I checked the cable that goes into the router (in main floor of house)- that cable is connected to a splitter. That splitter has the cable what I suppose is the 'source' of service - following that cable I see that it goes into the basement, and from the basement it goes back outside and I assume into the ONT. 

I connected the 3000N to that splitter and it works. 

So I checked the other cable in the basement that I'm trying to connect that 3000N into - that cable also leads to the outside of the house. I follow it to the ONT and I'm thinking it may not be connected to the ONT. I see a couple of coax cables out there that are 'hanging' a few inches from the ONT, not connected. Should I open the ONT myself and try to connect the cable? Or should I do a service call when service calls are available again? 

I remember when the cable lady put all these cables in, why would she not have connected them to the right places? Although we recently had to have our ONT serviced and I wonder if that guy didn't plug these cables back in? Or am I making wrong assumptions in thinking this other basement cable should be going into ONT?

Secondary question - if I just leave the 3000N connected right next to router - is it somehow stronger than the router and make wifi better in the basement?

This has been an interesting goose chase. Thank you for your help!

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You don’t have to connect the ONT. The ONT will connect to the INPUT of the splitter. Then all the cables throughout the house will connect to the OUTS. It sounds like the cable you are connecting to in the basement is just unplugged. Do you have FiOS TV too? Maybe you can unplug another cable that is unused and connect the wire leading to the basement. Otherwise you might need a bigger splitter. 

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is likely that one of the "hanging" cables is the one to which you connected the WCB3000N and thus why things aren't working.   It is not uncommon to NOT connect cables to outlets that aren't being used -- if you connect a cable that runs to an unused outlet, you are sort of creating an antenna thru which signal can leak into your cable plant and cause interference (unless you put a terminator on the connection where it comes up).   Depending on where you live and the amount of "noise" in your environment, this may or may not be an issue (I live at the base of a mountain with several radio/tv towers on top and let's just say I can get the local radio station on my toaster at times due to the amount of radio noise).

So, locate which cable it is that runs outside -- if it's near the ONT, open the user side of the ONT and disconnect the coax cable there and attach it along with the cable you located to a splitter and then, using a short length of coax, attach the splitter to the ONT port you just disconnected.   Should do the trick.

Optionally, you could insert the splitter where the coax from upstairs runs thru the basement and attach a piece of cable and splitter there to service your basement location.   However, this would probably involve cutting and splicing the coax -- which if aren't familiar with doing this properly and have the right tools -- I would not recommend doing.

Marullos
Enthusiast - Level 1

Lasagna, this exactly what I needed to do. Thank you so much for your help! Now I can do all the Zoom from basement that I want. 

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes