Re: Activation of CAT 5 ports
D1

Hi,

Regarding your last question, I'm not sure if a coaxial is coming from the ONT to that splitter there. Is there a way I can check? Do I just open the ONT at the side of the house and see if there is a coax there?

That would be our preference, to have a mixture of jacks for ethernet and phone. You are correct, the phone functions on all the jacks without a problem.

I would really appreciate a wiring diagram, as well pictures or links to the modular plug and switch I should use, to complete this conversion; from phone to ethernet.

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Hey chief,

Just got home and about to have dinner...to check the Ont...there should be one coax leaving the Unit, usually on the right side.  Follow it and see if it ties into your junction box.  Here's a hint...on the splitter there is one input and 8 outputs I believe.  The coax from the Ont may be running to the input.

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Just for the record...I'm not really familiar with these units...The original link I sent you was designed for a neat and orderly installation.   

The first link is how to crimp and wire the ends  Click Here  Link 2

Now i'm not into recommending products, so I found a couple by searching Google.  It will give you an idea of what to look for. 

Link 1 - 5 port switch

Link 2 - 8 port switch

0 Likes
D1

I really appreciate you going beyond the call of duty, like this. Kudos to you my man.

I checked the ONT and there is a coaxial cable coming out of the right as you have described and, more than likely that is the same coax in the junction box because, it feeds into the output with 8 separate coaxial cables, as you have mentioned as well.

I'm not sure these will help but, I have provided pictures of the wiring inside the wall panel and the ONT:

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Hi D1,

I can't seem to locate any wiring diagrams to your cat5e jacks, but this link may help give you an idea. CLICK HERE

In your second picture.... the top part of the jack has a clip.  If you press it downward the jack comes off of the faceplate.  In the link I sent you is shows the cat5 wired into the jack.  after removing your jack you wish to activate, check if it's wired correctly...if so you well on your way.  (one less thing to worry about).

0 Likes
D1

Hi,

I'm looking through all the links you have provided and, it is a lot more involved than I thought it would be; But, I do thank you very much for the links.

Let me see if I can vaguely simplify all of these steps; I unplug the current telephone wires (for the desired jacks) in the junction box, strip them and place a modular cap on them; plug those modular caps into a switch and plug the switch to the Actiontec router/modem, to activate those CAT 5 ports?

Does that sound correct?

If this becomes overwhelming and I decide to call a Verizon tech out here, how much would it be?

Message Edited by D1 on 01-22-2009 08:59 PM
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

That is exactly correct. 

I don't think Verizon contracts to do this kind of work however.  You will have to find an electrician or someone in home networking to terminate those wires.  I'm sur ehe will also have the equipment to trace out each wire for you too.

0 Likes
D1

If I'm going to choose to activate a select few of the CAT 5 ports, do I use the actiontec router or, the router in combination with a switch; after converting the wires in the junction box?

In the response after I posted the pictures of the junction box, it sounded like it is one or the other: a switch if I'm going to activate all the CAT 5 ports in the home; and a router if I'm choosing to activate some of the ports and keeping some for phone.

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

If your only going to activate 4 or less you won't need a switch, just plug them into the back of the router.  If you going to have more...then run lan out of the actiontec to one of the inputs of the switch.

In the response after I posted the pictures of the junction box, it sounded like it is one or the other: a switch if I'm going to activate all the CAT 5 ports in the home; and a router if I'm choosing to activate some of the ports and keeping some for phone.

When it comes to the wires, it is one or the other...phone or cat5 ehternet.  Regardless you will need a router...It serves 2 purposes...it gives ip addresses to the set top boxes, provided video on demand and guides on the video side and of course supplies you with your internet broadband

0 Likes
D1

Okay, hopefully these will be the last of my questions:

1. Do I redo the sets of wires that is to the right of these "Expansion Ports," only?

2. How can I determine which of these sets of lines, feeds to a certain jack?

3. The wires on the port do not match the color of the wires on an ethernet cable. First off, how can I rewire the port on the panel, that just clips on, as you can see. Secondly, do I rewire the port so, the color sequence matches the ones on the ethernet cable?

0 Likes