Anyone Using A Home Server ?
JN14
I have a home server which I have connected to FIOS and setup NAT to enable a blog, FTP etc over the internet, but nobody across the WAN can access the pages.  I know I have the server setup correctly (cos it worked with my last ISP), so it has to be the Verizon router.  I have setup another HTTP port (cos Verizon blocks port 80), but still nobody can access.  I even had a FIOS network techy remote in to check the router, but he could find nothing wrong.  As Princess Leia said "You are my only hope" .... 
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Anyone Using A Home Server ?
klipko

My first thought is that you may not be using the right IP address. Can you ping the server?  Better yet if your using Dynamic DNS service is the name being translated to your correct (external) IP address?

0 Likes
JN14
Checked using Dnsstuff.com and tracert - IP correct but 'no reply' from router.  Checked using ping command from within LAN, using external IP and URL and no problem seen (I have used DynDNS for years and have had no problems).  Not sure what this proves ...
0 Likes
klipko

Humm...  It's hard to say what the problem is but maybe try enabling remote administration to the router.  If you can connect to the router outside of your network then it tell me that it's something with the port forwarding setup.  (If you do setup remote Admin. make sure to turn it off when done.)

I logged on to my router and noticed (and forgot) that you'll need to enable "ICMP Echo Requests"in order for ping to work.  Enable that and see if ping requests are being returned outside your network.

0 Likes
JN14

Thanks Klipko,

I have been away on work, but eventually got the thing to work, although I couldn't pin it down to one change I made to the setup.  FTP still not working, but HTTP is good enough for now.  Thanks for your support 

:smileywink:

0 Likes