Best third-party extender for a Fios G3100 router?
CoffeeCoffee1

Hello!  I use a G3100 router for my WiFi service (rented from Fios).  The signal is spotty in part of my home, so I'd like to buy a basic signal extender to make the signal stronger.  I'm not a fan of Verizon's Extender because it is pricey and large.  I'd like to use one of those simple plug-in-the-outlet extenders.  

Any recommendations for a third party WiFi extender that will work with the Fios G3100 router?

Thanks!

(Two Comments:

1.  I've read that some WiFi extenders basically create a new network/signal such that your device will need to select your original router signal OR the extender signal.  I would ideally like to avoid this and just have one signal throughout the home).

2.  I plan to stick with the G3100 for now, so I am not looking for advice on how to replace the whole home system (but thanks!).)

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Best third-party extender for a Fios G3100 router?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Strongly do not recommend the plug into the wall extenders. They will extend signal but often come with a big performance penalty. And sometimes a reliability penalty too. It's best to use the FiOS extenders with the FiOS router.

If you must use the plug in devices, I recommend finding a way to get Ethernet to the extender and hardwire it, and operate it as an Access Point. This will help keep your speed and reliability up. The drawback to this is you don't get unified management and seamless roaming between the extender and the router.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

The only device that can create a mesh network with G3100 is E3200, but it is expensive.

Besides a mesh network, any third party access point can create a separate WLAN with or without the same SSID and password.

The elder brothers of E3200 is WCB6200Q ($120, 500+Mbps) and WCB3000N ($25, 175Mbps). You can consider these.

Other wireless access points...I might need to recommend some commercial-grade access points, like Aruba Networks Instant On AP11 Access Point (~$95, 500+Mbps). Aruba can provide the most flexibility. Multiple of the same models can create a mesh network. So, if you can replace G3100 with a router only (I mean without a built-in access point, for instance Cisco RV260), it is cheaper for a better system.

Just two more caveats to mention. If you have TV STBs, you need a Verizon router to activate them. Aruba Access Point requires an ethernet cable hardwired to at least one of them before meshing. Aruba needs either the power adapter or  PoE.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Best advice?  Get the Verizon extender.  It does exactly what you want and is easy to install.

Do avoid the inexpensive, small plug mounted units.  Most of those are repeaters.  While easy to install, they cut WiFi bandwidth in half and don't work that well.

The other options is to get a wired access point or router and install it where you want it.  There are lots of options to choose from; there is nothing specific needed to work with a G3100.    If you get one, it will take a little configuration to get it working the way you want.  A unit with comparable WiFI performance to the E3200 may not cost much less.  These vary in size with the higher preforming ones typically being somewhat large.  Maybe not as large as an E3200, but nowhere near as small as the plug mounted repeaters.

hubcapbrian
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also suggest buying the E3200. Yes, $200 is pretty expensive but it really was an idiot-proof install using a coax connection.

I had to buy the G3100 to get a new, cheaper FIOS plan. The G3100 is in the basement at one end of the house (a 1950s ranch) next to the ONT. The E3200 is on the other end of the house next to the STB, so coax was available. I literally plugged in the E3200, waited the few minutes for it to load the firmware and it just worked. Not having to make any adjustments was well worth the higher price.

Went from an Actiontec MI424 router and extender topping out at about 250 Mbps and dipping down to 50 Mbps in the worst spots to this setup and am getting speeds over 850 Mbps when close to one of the units and about 500 Mbps in the worst spots of the house or on the back patio.  

It would be nice if the E3200 had more than two Ethernet ports (the G3100 has four) for hardwiring peripherals and was physically smaller, but otherwise I'm 100% satisfied.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You want more ethernet ports from MoCA? Sure, Verizon has a solution for you, try ECB5240M, MoCA Bonded 2.0 to 4 ethernet ports. It costs $55.

I like this combination better than E3200: WCB6200Q + ECB5240M, it is cheaper and got a bunch of ethernet ports.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Strongly do not recommend the plug into the wall extenders. They will extend signal but often come with a big performance penalty. And sometimes a reliability penalty too. It's best to use the FiOS extenders with the FiOS router.

If you must use the plug in devices, I recommend finding a way to get Ethernet to the extender and hardwire it, and operate it as an Access Point. This will help keep your speed and reliability up. The drawback to this is you don't get unified management and seamless roaming between the extender and the router.

Jamesmccurdy1

So if I upgrade the old gateway router to a G3100 but keep my two wcb6200Q Actiontec extenders I should be good on 300/300 service? TIA! 

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes