BPON to GPON Upgrade
gailq

I live in a MDU. Our FiOS solution at this time is a BPON ONT with VDSL1 to each apartment over the POTS copper connection. Our maximum internet speed is 20/5. We would like to upgrade to a GPON ONT with VDSL2 over the POTS copper connection to each apartment. That would give us 50/15. We live in the Bethesda, Maryland central business district zip code 20814. There are at least 20 Verizon FiOS Internet subscribers in the building. We have three BPON ONTs. I realize that the in apartment VDSL1 box and Router also have to be replaced with a VDSL2/Router combo box. 

Is there GPON available at the CO and how do we upgrade?

Comcast/Xfinityhas approached us with a solution over our coax infrastructure which is much faster than th 20/5 we now have with Verizon FiOS.

0 Likes
Re: BPON to GPON Upgrade
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

FYI, these forums are primarily customer-to-customer.

If you want to reach Verizon, you should try calling or chatting with them.  Retail support is here: Contact Us.

As and MDU, it may be up to the property owner to contact Verizon for a discussion.  I don't know how to contact Verizon's folks who deal with this type of property, but this web page may help:

http://communities.verizon.com/

Good Luck.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

upgrading from bpon to gpon is a natural part of Verizon's order process, IE you can only initiate that by requesting a speed that needs GPON.  They consider GPON space valuable, so they wouldn't load it up with customers that don't have speed plans that need it.

If your area qualifies, meaning they have all of the different pieces of the puzzle to deliver that speed and gpon architecture, then you will be able to order it.

Rare cases are out there, where you should qualify but don't.  You would only know that if your neighbor on your street has it, but you can't get it.   At that point they can check and correct records if needed 

that whole process starts after you order

0 Likes
gailq

Hubrisnxs,

You are saying that I as a single subscriber in my MDU orders 50/50, the only choice that I see that is beyond my present 20/5, Verizon will automatically attempt to upgrade all the ONTs in my building. Is that correct. We actually have three ONTs and I think I know which one I am on. 

Would it help if mutiple subscribers in the building did that?

We have already had problems where people in the building have ordered Quantum. Verizon has tried to install it only to find out that we have a VDSL solution in the building.

I guess I could try to order 50/50 and see what happens.

Thank you,

gailq

0 Likes
gailq

Hubrisnxs,

The system won't let me order beyond 20/5. I will have to try to call Tech Support again. The first line of Support keeps dropping me on a transfer to Tech Support.

Thanks for trying to help me.

gailq

0 Likes