Re: Can bring up certain websites but can't log-in
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@williec wrote:

I'm using Verizon Internet Security Suite (McAfee).  Yes, I have the problem with other browers.

I'd recommend uninstalling McAfee and installing Microsoft Security Essentials.

I've been using MSE since it became available.  I've never been infected with malware and I don't have any of the problems I see reported that are caused by other a/v - firewall programs on the market.

If for some reason MSE doesn't solve your problem, or doesn't float your boat in some other way, you can always revert to McAfee.

0 Likes
williec1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the Actiontec M1424WR Rev F Router.

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

Not the exact same issue, but I would still try changing your MTU to 1496.

http://chrisbenard.net/2014/02/25/How-to-Fix-Verizon-FiOS-Problem-Connecting-to-Websites/

williec1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the suggestion but it didn't work.

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

That is odd.  If the sites work on the same laptop in other locations/ISPs it has to be something in the router as if there was global FIOS issue with healthcare.gov we all would have heard about it by now. 

I'd try a wired connection, after that I'd probably reset the router to factory.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@db909 wrote:

That is odd.  If the sites work on the same laptop in other locations/ISPs it has to be something in the router as if there was global FIOS issue with healthcare.gov we all would have heard about it by now. 

I'd try a wired connection, after that I'd probably reset the router to factory.

And if none of that works, considering the symtpoms, maybe it's time to ask Verizon for a replacement router?

0 Likes
VUser50
Contributor - Level 2

Try using another User Account (make one if need be). If you feel comfotable enough, Try but don't install Linux. How to Try instructions here.  

0 Likes
williec1
Enthusiast - Level 3

If by wired you mean, ethernet connection between router and laptop, I've tried it with no luck.  I've also tried a factory reset of the router.   As much as I didn't want to do it, I guess its time I tried Verizon support.

0 Likes
williec1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I got help from Verizon technical support (took two tries to actually get someone to help).   The technician ran a trace from my router to United.com and determined that the problem was at United's server end; United needs to update their BOGON list.  The technician did send an email to United requesting the BOGON list be updated but I haven't been contacted by United yet nor can I log-in to their site.  The technician  also ran a trace Healthcare.gov and it showed no problem; however, I still have the same problem with Healthcare.gov as I do with United.com.  I believe there is more to the problem than outdated BOGON list.  I am trying to reach Healthcare.gov's technical support but they have a real backup right now and probably will have through the end of the month.   Bottom line is my issue has still not been resolved.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Considering the latest info, you might try changing your IP address.  For whatever it's worth, I have no trouble logging into either of the websites you mentioned.

0 Likes