Can Fios Internet use my disabled Directv coax?
BF

I'm getting Fios (TV, Internet, & Phone) installed in 2 weeks.  

I currently have Directv. This will be disabled when Fios is installed.

Can I use the old Directv coax cables for distributing the internet & TV throughout my house?

I really don't want to run any CAT5 cables?

Thanks, 

0 Likes
Re: Can Fios Internet use my disabled Directv coax?
prisaz
Legend

Yes the Directv coax is RG6 and is what is needed for FIOS TV and also their Optical Network Terminal (ONT) that can use COAX or Ethernet for the IP connection. The router can be placed anywhere you have a coax run.

0 Likes
Brennoko
Contributor - Level 1

BF,

The issue I see happening is that DirecTv has to run each line directly from the dish, which is probably not going to be near where the ONT will be located. If the Fios tech is able to tie into those lines, which would take installing a coax run from the ONT to the dish and splitting it from there, then that would be all the wiring needed. Otherwise new lines may need to be run.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Brennoko wrote:

BF,

The issue I see happening is that DirecTv has to run each line directly from the dish, which is probably not going to be near where the ONT will be located. If the Fios tech is able to tie into those lines, which would take installing a coax run from the ONT to the dish and splitting it from there, then that would be all the wiring needed. Otherwise new lines may need to be run.

Good point! I was lucky and all my coax came from a Directv multiswitch I had installed in my basement.
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Brennoko  is correct.  Just to give you a feel of what you may experience....The Ont is generally placed near your power panel.  This is imperitive for Grounding purposes.  We need to meet code...So look at your breaker box, see if there is a solid ground coming from the top of it.  If so, then locate the the entry point where the DirecTv wires come into your house. 

The wire From the Ont needs to be run to where the dish ties into their coax Splitter.  (which we will probably replace with ours)

0 Likes
sanan77
Enthusiast - Level 3

After you fix the Splitter issue, sharing a coax for Direct TV signal and Fios will cause an issue, becuase both signals us similiar frequencies,  It will difenetely work with Comcast for their signal are totally on different frequencies they our..  We use 1300--1550mhz   between our Video, phone and internet, and satilite service use the same,  Cable companies are on the lower end of the spectrum..

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
I don't believe he's talking about sharing the Fios rf signal with his satellite dish.  He's talking about using the existing wires so they don't have to be re-ran.  They will just disconnect the wires from DirectTv and feed them from Fios.
0 Likes
ZuteELoops
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, you can use the same coax cables inside your walls and patch cords from faceplate to receiver.

BUT WHY?  Let them install all new patch cables, especially if you have older or not so good cables running from your wall to the receiver.

AND WHY FIOS TV?  DirecTV is SO MUCH BETTER!  I was exactly where you are just 2 weeks ago.  I have had DirecTV for over 10 years at several different locations.  I decided to try to cut back on family expenses and I liked the idea of Fios, but had to pay an early termination fee to DTV to get out of my contract.  To top it off, we have had nothing but problems with our Fios service and after two weeks of nothing but customer service calls and headaches, we've decided to go back to DirecTV.

MY ADVICE:  Keep DirecTV running until you are absolutely sure that Fios is right for you.  Don't cancel on the day you install FIOS like I did.  Although, by cancelling and then reconnecting DirecTV, I got an additional HD DVR, free installation, free HD channels for 3 months, Free movie package and an additional $23 off my subscription.  SO maybe cancelling DTV was the best move so I could reconnect at a better rate 😉

We will be keeping the internet (much faster than dsl) and the phone, just because we went through all the trouble to get it installed, but the tv is horrible.  Remote doesnt work, signals lost, favorite channels cleared, programs not recording, you name it.

Good luck!

zooky
Contributor - Level 1

@ZuteELoops wrote:

We will be keeping the internet (much faster than dsl) and the phone, just because we went through all the trouble to get it installed, but the tv is horrible.  Remote doesnt work, signals lost, favorite channels cleared, programs not recording, you name it.

Good luck!

I do have to agree with you there.  We had the FIOS bundle installed yesterday.  The phone and particularly the internet are GREAT!  But, the TV leaves MUCH to be desired.  However, we went through the same kind of growing pains with Direct TV so we'll hang in there.  There were enough widgets and gadgets, and other technical wizzbangs to keep us happy whilst they work all the bugs out.  I know other people may not be so patient, though.  Plus, the $ savings ain't too shabby.  BUT, if the bugs haven't been worked out by the time our contract expires we'll be moving back Direct TV.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I had Directv for 15 years and yes I had new COAX installed to the same locations as the Directv. I had installed the coax myself, and had the ends waiting for the installers. My FIOS TV installer was at the house for about 20 minutes because I had put the connectors on the coax ends before he arrived. If you have the additional coax when you cut the Directv, and a decent antenna, you can get HD broadcast digital from your local network straight to your TV. I think some of the local ball games look better on the HD broadcast then on FIOS. My antenna is in the attic, and I am avout 15 mile outside of Washington D.C. Verizon will not fish many coax cables through walls from what I have heard. But I could be wrong. I had FIOS Internet and Phone for two years before the TV was available.

It didn't take long for me to stop subscribing all but one Directv box. Depending on your contract with Directv you may be able to carry the bare minimum until the contract expires. That may be cheaper then the termination fee, but perhaps not.

Message Edited by prisaz on 01-27-2009 03:03 PM
0 Likes