Can I Add a Hub After the ONT 1-211M-L but before the Verizon router
BostonBud

Hello,

I have my ethernet, cable tv and home phone through Verizon Fios.  All is working great!

I have an ONT 1-211M-L in the attic, and a Verizon router in the office.

In the back of the 1-211M-L I have a data port that goes to the other end of the house to the Verizon router in my office.  I also have a new ethernet cable that is terminated near the ONT in the attic. 

Question:  Can I interrupt the cable connection to the OTN and place it through a 4 port ethernet hub in the attic so that I can connect the new ethernet cable and still keep the connection going to the router?  Thanks for checking.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I Add a Hub After the ONT 1-211M-L but before the Verizon router
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Or you could move the router up in the attic and turn off wifi. Connect the 2 ethernets the the routers LAN ports and add your own wireless access points on the other end if those lines coming from the attic. Some WAPs also have an additional ethernet port that can then be wired to a switch for additional ports for hardwired devices. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. You need to run an additional ethernet from LAN of the router back to the attic then you could put a hub in the attic to feed the ethernet in attic going to the other room. 

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Or you could move the router up in the attic and turn off wifi. Connect the 2 ethernets the the routers LAN ports and add your own wireless access points on the other end if those lines coming from the attic. Some WAPs also have an additional ethernet port that can then be wired to a switch for additional ports for hardwired devices.