Can I purchase FiOS Internet alone, and what are the costs associated with it?
Hamiathes
Enthusiast - Level 2

There is no FiOS available in my area currently, but is expected to become available soon. This is my question, when my brother signs up for the bundle, (television, telephone, and internet), is it possible to add another FiOS internet line (we prefer to have separate internet connections), and ONLY internet, without telephone and television? If so, what are all the costs, such as if I need to get another telephone line to facilitate FiOS internet?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I purchase FiOS Internet alone, and what are the costs associated with it?
thegeek
Enthusiast - Level 3

FIOS is fiber to the premise, you do not have to have a phone circuit. Tekephone and Data, and Video if available in your area, are available bundled or as seperate packages. Call your local sales office or go to www.verizon.com/fios  for prices

You can not have two data circuits on one account, so you will need a seperate ONT unless you live in an apartment building and they hav a Multi Dwelling Unit (MDU) Optical Terminal installed.

If you want two seperate routers on one circuit you can do that, but Verizon  does not support it, you would have to set it up yourself.

View solution in original post

Re: Can I purchase FiOS Internet alone, and what are the costs associated with it?
thegeek
Enthusiast - Level 3

FIOS is fiber to the premise, you do not have to have a phone circuit. Tekephone and Data, and Video if available in your area, are available bundled or as seperate packages. Call your local sales office or go to www.verizon.com/fios  for prices

You can not have two data circuits on one account, so you will need a seperate ONT unless you live in an apartment building and they hav a Multi Dwelling Unit (MDU) Optical Terminal installed.

If you want two seperate routers on one circuit you can do that, but Verizon  does not support it, you would have to set it up yourself.

Hamiathes
Enthusiast - Level 2

So it would be completely plausible to have a triple package with an additional internet service, with two seperate routers, and two seperate ONTs? How large is an ONT unit, because space is limited.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Hamiathes wrote:

So it would be completely plausible to have a triple package with an additional internet service, with two seperate routers, and two seperate ONTs? How large is an ONT unit, because space is limited.

Would make more sense to up the speed of the fios connection and then share the cost of the internet portion of the bill.  You could still split the connection at the VZ router by attaching 2 separate routers directly to 2 of the VZ router switch ports which could give you 2 discrete lans via the single fios connection.

Hamiathes
Enthusiast - Level 2

It does make sense, but we have a tendency to use the internet to the fullest individually, and we don't want to interfere with each other, an example of which would be him downloading a file, which hogs up all the bandwidth, but I want to play an online game, which I can't because all the bandwidth is on one side. However, with two separate lines, my brother can go as fast as he likes without affecting me at all, and vice-versa.

But, thank you for both your replies.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Before you get your hopes up. The answer to your question is likely to be no. You cannot have a triple play plus another internet service. Like said before that would require a second ONT. Depending on the model, these are usually about 18 inches wide by 24 inches tall, but it varies.

But Verizon will rarely allow for 2 ONT's at one single family home. It can sometimes be done, but I wouldn't count on it. When they plan a neighborhood and do the layout of fiber to the street, they plan on only a single fiber line to each house. There are no extras. Now granted in the real world not everyone in the neighborhood will get FIOS so they technically could run a second line to your house without depriving anyone else, but usually they will not do so. It has happened many times where they allowed someone to have 2 ONT's then later on ran out for the neighborhood and had to deny service to other potential customers until they could get out and lay more fiber. So most of the time they will not let you do this.

But really, with today's bandwidth that is available (35/35) and most people never used even a third of that, there shouldn't be an issue with both of you sharing the connection. Unless you are both extremely heavy users.

0 Likes
Hamiathes
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply, all my questions have been answered.

0 Likes