Can't telnet into G3100 router
frizfrelengfan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Telnet 192.168.1.1 gives "Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed." Is this something that VZ deliberately turned off? Accessing via the web page is fine, and telneting into my other router (192.168.1.2, configured as an access point) is fine. (The other router runs DD-WRT.)

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can't telnet into G3100 router
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does the magic packet have to be a layer 2 broadcast frame in the subnet? It cannot be a layer 2 unicast frame to the computer of the poster's interest?

To answer dslr595148's questions:

1) I just tested G1100 by creating a static DHCP entry with an IPv4 address and a MAC address. No luck, the static DHCP entry does not result in a static ARP entry. The G1100 still sends out ARP requests to ask "Who has [IP address]?"

I tried to test my Cisco RV260, but the configuration cannot be saved for some reason and there's an alert telling me to upgrade to a newer firmware. I will try RV260 later.

2) a) To be safe, I think the OP might need to resort to Catalyst Series. I am reviewing the interfaces of Small Business SG220, SG250 and SG350. They seem to allow manual alternation of ARP table too.

b) Buying a Cisco switch is expensive, unless the OP is willing to invest in a used switch from Ebay. That's why I suggested to DIY a switch. How to convert a serviceable computer to a switch? Buy one or two USB NICs, then configure network switching team through Power Shell if the OP uses Windows 10 Home/Professional operating system. It is easier to do networking on Linux, so the OP can reinstall an Alpine Linux for a minimal terminal-based barebone Linux. Then do bridge interfaces. This is how Verizon router's 4-port switch is made.

DIY switch takes a lot of effort, but comes with the best customizability. Since you may have to have a LAN device to generate the magic packet, a DIY switch can handle that nicely. I guess a Raspberry Pi is better for this purpose than a serviceable computer, considering the operating wattage.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have a G1100.  I suspect it behaves the same as the G3100.  There is no telnet access.  SSH access can be enabled from the "Advanced->Local Administration" menu.  Then, you can "ssh admin@192.168.1.1" or whatever your router's IP is.  Note there is very little you can do from the command line, so it's not really worth doing.

frizfrelengfan
Enthusiast - Level 2

There is no option for local administration. There is one for remote administration. "Using Primary HTTPS Port (443)" is unchecked, and checking it has no effect. I can't SSH into the router.

The reason I wanted to do this was because I was hoping to update the ARP table.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not sure of what is going on, but us try to help you.

While we get that you have FIOS Internet, do you also have FIOS TV?

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@frizfrelengfan wrote:

The reason I wanted to do this was because I was hoping to update the ARP table.

Hmm, I would have thought the G3100 had the same local admin access as the G1100.

Even if it did, useful stuff like managing ARP tables is not available.  The SSH on the G1100 is basically useless.  All the real controls are in the web UI.  And if a feature is not available in the web UI, you can't do it.

This is why some folk don't use Verizon routers.  They like to be able to control everything.  If you don't have Verizon set-top-boxes, you can easily use any router you like.

frizfrelengfan
Enthusiast - Level 2

I do have Fios TV. I'm a new customer and the technician installed "Fios One" boxes. I had a Linksys router controlling my network. The router ran DD-WRT and contained a VPN. I tried various configurations involving both the Linksys and the G3100, just the G3100, and just the Linksys with a MoCA adapter. Ultimately the Linksys bricked and couldn't be revived, so now I'm left with the G3100, and my VPN is gone. I was thinking about installing the VPN software on my computer, but so that I don't have to have the computer up all the time, I want to be able to wake it up over the WAN. That ultimately led me to here. I feel like I'm chasing an unrealistic goal.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

With Fios ONE boxes you need to keep the VZ router as primary.  The VZ routers are rather locked down.  I've never heard of anyone being able to run a VPN on it.

You can install any router you like behind the VZ router.  You may find this FAQ helpful:
https://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I know SSH root access can be enabled through external TR-069. This can be done only by the engineering department and they are not accessible to customers.

The root access includes standard Linux utilities like iptables, ip routing, ifconfig, and etc.

You want to manage the ARP table. Even Cisco small business routers won't allow you to manage the ARP table. ARP table is a layer 2 function and a router is supposed to be good at layer 3 functions. You would be better to have a layer 2 managed switch to manage LAN ARP. Or, maybe opt for full customization and build a switch with NICs and a serviceable computer.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Wake-on-WAN-with-G3100-router/m-p/909686

Above is what caused them to create this thread.

#1 Do you suggest that they get another NAT router, DMZ to the WAN port of that other NAT router, and forward to the broadcast address in the other NAT router?

#2 If not that and:

a) A layer 2 managed switch to manage LAN ARP, suggestions please to which one(s).

b) Build a switch with NICs and a serviceable computer, how does one make the serviceable computer act as a layer 2 managed switch?

Please and thank you

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does the magic packet have to be a layer 2 broadcast frame in the subnet? It cannot be a layer 2 unicast frame to the computer of the poster's interest?

To answer dslr595148's questions:

1) I just tested G1100 by creating a static DHCP entry with an IPv4 address and a MAC address. No luck, the static DHCP entry does not result in a static ARP entry. The G1100 still sends out ARP requests to ask "Who has [IP address]?"

I tried to test my Cisco RV260, but the configuration cannot be saved for some reason and there's an alert telling me to upgrade to a newer firmware. I will try RV260 later.

2) a) To be safe, I think the OP might need to resort to Catalyst Series. I am reviewing the interfaces of Small Business SG220, SG250 and SG350. They seem to allow manual alternation of ARP table too.

b) Buying a Cisco switch is expensive, unless the OP is willing to invest in a used switch from Ebay. That's why I suggested to DIY a switch. How to convert a serviceable computer to a switch? Buy one or two USB NICs, then configure network switching team through Power Shell if the OP uses Windows 10 Home/Professional operating system. It is easier to do networking on Linux, so the OP can reinstall an Alpine Linux for a minimal terminal-based barebone Linux. Then do bridge interfaces. This is how Verizon router's 4-port switch is made.

DIY switch takes a lot of effort, but comes with the best customizability. Since you may have to have a LAN device to generate the magic packet, a DIY switch can handle that nicely. I guess a Raspberry Pi is better for this purpose than a serviceable computer, considering the operating wattage.