Cannot get an internet connection
merlin96
Contributor - Level 1

I cannot get an internet connection on my laptop although I can get it on other devices.  I am able to connect through a temporary Xfinity hotspot that I paid for an hour of time for, so it doesn't look like the problem is with my laptop.  I have also tried rebooting my router, removing and readding the wifi to my laptop, and flushing the DNS, all without any luck.  I've been on hold for almost 2 hours with Verizon and don't have any hope I'll be talking to anyone any time soon.  Any advice?  I also ran virus scans and found nothing.  Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cannot get an internet connection
merlin96
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you for your reply.  Sorry for my delay in replying-  I only just saw it.  Anyway, my laptop was not the problem, which I was pretty sure of even before the problem was fixed as I was able to access the internet on it through an Xfinity hot spot.  In any event, it turned out that Verizon's network was down.  I don't understand why I was able to access my wifi through my tablet and not my laptop and thought the Verizon rep (who I finally did speak to after a 3 hour wait and my hanging up and calling back) was putting me on, but she opened a ticket, let me know when it was fixed and the connection came back so I guess she was right.  Just another Verizon mystery. Thanks again for your attempted help though.  I'll hang on to your instructions for the next time just in case.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you can connect with other devices then the problem definitely is the laptop. Do you have an ethernet port on the laptop? Try hardwiring directly to the router. 
Can you see your router’s SSID? If you can open a command prompt and type ipconfig/ all. Your default gateway should be 192.168.1.1 and you device IP should be 192.168.1.X. 
People have reported issue with SON. Do you see both SSIDs? For example FiOS-XXXXX amd FiOS-XXXXX-5G. 

merlin96
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you for your reply.  Sorry for my delay in replying-  I only just saw it.  Anyway, my laptop was not the problem, which I was pretty sure of even before the problem was fixed as I was able to access the internet on it through an Xfinity hot spot.  In any event, it turned out that Verizon's network was down.  I don't understand why I was able to access my wifi through my tablet and not my laptop and thought the Verizon rep (who I finally did speak to after a 3 hour wait and my hanging up and calling back) was putting me on, but she opened a ticket, let me know when it was fixed and the connection came back so I guess she was right.  Just another Verizon mystery. Thanks again for your attempted help though.  I'll hang on to your instructions for the next time just in case.