Capped Speeds on FiOS connection
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

How irionc, I'm usually the one trying to help others on here. Smiley Very Happy

For the past week, my speeds have dropped from 75 Mbps to barely 30 Mbps on the download side. Upload speed unaffected. But here's the catch: no packet loss whatsoever and no signs of any connection issues. This is tested to multiple servers using multiple backbone providers. I'm a network administrator, and I can confirm again and again that my equiptment is not the issue. Granted, tech support is determined I should reboot my router several hundered times. All of my equiptment is enterprise grade, and again, this is not an issue on my network.

Another problem that confuses me. I can get perfect download speeds to the internal verizon speedtest server. I can also transfer files to a server hosted on the verizon network at full speed. But as soon as my connection leaves the VZ network, speeds drop to 30 Mbps.

I called tech support, and the one good tech I got (Sam, I believe his name was - from the pittsburgh call center) who was very knowledgeable when it comes to networking, was just as stumped as I was. No packet loss, no ping spikes, nothing to indicate a connection issue. I've tried everything I can from my end.

The only possible explanation I can comprehend is some kind of traffic shaping going on. Would it be possible that my account got some kind of "cap" or "ban" on it?

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Capped Speeds on FiOS connection
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks for your response.

I use all my own equiptment (no FiOS router), and tested from multiple devices the speeds always fell. Anyways, it seems like the problem is solving itself. Already back up to 75 Mbps.

After some more digging I found that T0-5-0-6.PITBPA-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net was giving me some packet loss. Its gone from 35% down to 3%, so I assume the network engineers fixed it. Thanks for all the replies on here.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Markcooper1

Mine also slowed down.  i have 50/50 and for past week or so, cannot get over 30.  Thought it was just me.  i am in Baltimore area.  Assumed I was capped for whatever reason.  Now we know its not just me.  Wonder if they sent an update thru and slowed us all down.

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Oh I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was starting to loose my mind for a bit there.

I'm in the Pittsburgh, PA region so possibly something with the north east coast area going on? Seems no one else in my area is having trouble with their speeds (but their also not tech savvy, I doubt they even know what Mbps is).

Have you had any luck with support? They seem pretty stumped by my situation. It does seem like a "cap" is put in place or something, since theres no packet loss/visable connection issues. Its just... slow.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Most probably due to peering issues on the Verizon network.

This has been reported before.

The point where Verizon network hands off to the "Internet" can get congested.

You said you have tested to multiple speedtest sites.

Have you tried in different parts of the country?

Although Verizon may try and assist, they will say they are only responsible for their internal network (like most ISPs).

They can't always control what is happening once it leaves their network.
peering points is a funny situation as neither peer wants to spend money to upgrade and typically points the finger at the other.

0 Likes
randy
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just upgraded to 75/75 and can't get any download speeds above 25, upload is okay.

I have 14 days to cancel, guess i'll be canceling tomorrow...

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried testing to speedtest.verizon.net?

If not, try that from a wired connection.

If you don't get at least 75/75, you can use that test result to have support investigate.

If that works fine, but doesn't off Verizon network, then it probably is a peering issue.

BTW, I beleive you can make changes to Internet speed anytime and it doesn't affect contract terms.

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks for the response. I sure hope this gets fixed soon, its only getting worse with time. 

I can understand if one peering point to like Level3 got saturated, but this is on every single peer for the past week. I would assume others on the VZ network would notice if it was this bad, which it seems like they are not, which is why I am I so confused. 

AlsoI have tried multiple speedtest servers, as well as real-world tests with transferring files.  

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

You sound pretty certain, but plug a laptop right into the FIOS router to prove your equipment is not the issue.

I have seen an uptick in people complaining about speeds at night on other forums, if your issue is at night, but not during the work day , it has to be peering.  Your research certainly points to it.

FIOS doesn't cap and people DL  50+ TBs/month of data routinely without getting on their radar.

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks for your response.

I use all my own equiptment (no FiOS router), and tested from multiple devices the speeds always fell. Anyways, it seems like the problem is solving itself. Already back up to 75 Mbps.

After some more digging I found that T0-5-0-6.PITBPA-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net was giving me some packet loss. Its gone from 35% down to 3%, so I assume the network engineers fixed it. Thanks for all the replies on here.

0 Likes