Re: Certificate Error, Router home page hacked? (192.168.1.1)
FireFish1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I too have noticed this very recently, and I personally make it a habit of restoring my router every 3 months or so. 

Just a few days ago, I too received the security warnings using Chrome and other browsers, which I can positively agree has never happened before in my years of being a FiOS customer. I'm a gigabit customer using the latest gateway and believe that either a very recent gateway update push might have caused this issue. The only thing that has changed from my end is me enabling some sort of parental filtering control option, one which I did from Verizon.com's website (not from within my router) and was told after enabling it that it might take 24 hours to activate this 'feature'. Meanwhile, I can't seem to find any option to 'de-activate' said feature, and have attempted numerous full reboots and factory restorations. All paths lead back to the same place, which is interestingly where you seem to be as well.

Verizon - maybe y'all can chime in on this rather than expecting your paying customers to do all of your QA work for you. Any thoughts on the matter? And please don't reply with something canned or elementary, which will no doubt just insult my (or our) intelligence. 

--

EDIT: I've demnstrated the only change I made via Verizon.com that could conceivably have caused or contributed to this, and my video shows that my settings change cannot be undone. Is this normal?https://www.screencast.com/t/4ErMqmPuK0o

0 Likes
Nilsa_VZ
Community Manager
Community Manager

An issue has been identified with the BHR4 2.2 Firmware Update that is causing customers to lose wireless connectivity if they were using MAC Filtering prior to the update.

To rectify, you will need to do a factory reset to gain Wi-Fi connectivity again. Once the router has been reset you will be able to connect your devices.

You will not be able to set MAC Filtering on the router until the 2.3 Firmware Update is available.

We apologize for this inconvenience. 

Thanks. 

Verizon Logo
Nilsa
Community Manager

Community Manager
Community Manager II
192.168.1.1 has certificate problem on Firefox - Quantum G1100
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

Just now, on my Firefox 65.0.2 on my Win 7 Pro 64-bit, I went to 192.168.1.1 to access my Quantum G1100, and I got error messages from Firefox indicating that the security certificate is not good.

Firefox says:

Your connection is not secure

The owner of 192.168.1.1 has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

Learn more…

Report errors like this to help Mozilla identify and block malicious sites

192.168.1.1 uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because it is self-signed.
  The certificate is only valid for .

Error code: MOZILLA_PKIX_ERROR_SELF_SIGNED_CERT

Also tried on Chrome, which says "Not secure".

Never had an issue before.  What's happening, and how to fix?

Thanks.

0 Likes
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

Nilsa - This is happening to me as well, on Firefox and Chrome, on Win 7 Pro 64-bit. 

When will Vz issue 2.3 ?

Please give a date.

0 Likes
Re: 192.168.1.1 has certificate problem on Firefox - Quantum G1100
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@glnz2 wrote:

Just now, on my Firefox 65.0.2 on my Win 7 Pro 64-bit, I went to 192.168.1.1 to access my Quantum G1100, and I got error messages from Firefox indicating that the security certificate is not good.

Firefox says:

Your connection is not secure

The owner of 192.168.1.1 has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

Learn more…

Report errors like this to help Mozilla identify and block malicious sites

192.168.1.1 uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because it is self-signed.
  The certificate is only valid for .

Error code: MOZILLA_PKIX_ERROR_SELF_SIGNED_CERT

Also tried on Chrome, which says "Not secure".

Never had an issue before.  What's happening, and how to fix?

Thanks.

In Chrome click on “Advanced” then click “Proceed to 192.168.1.1 (unsafe)”

In Firefox click “I understand the risk” then “Visit site”

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@glnz2 wrote:

Nilsa - This is happening to me as well, on Firefox and Chrome, on Win 7 Pro 64-bit. 

When will Vz issue 2.3 ?

Please give a date.

The 2.3 update may or may not fix the certificate error. It sounds like it is more for the MAC filtering issue. 

0 Likes
ado1
Enthusiast - Level 1

hillarious on all this certificate fiasco is:

Before firmware upgrade (I recevied email about that maybe one week ago and also that they are removing MAC filtering becuase it is causing issues - for me it was working just fine) that admin site was running using a plain http. So they do upgrade and write on login page:

Verizon takes your privacy and internet security seriously. To better ensure security, Your router is automatically being redirected to https://myfiosgateway.com. ...

Noble step, ...and then they ruin it using self signed certificate.

Isn't whole point of https to use certificate issued by trusted authority?

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have a similar trouble at work where they use self signed certificates for internal applications.

Its funny how they tell people to accept this warning but becareful when you go to other sites because those may not be trustworthy.

FIOS GATEWAY update of February
raygam
Enthusiast - Level 2

I suspect this topic has been brought up before but I cannot seem to identify it so here it one more time.

Apparently the FIOS GATEWAY was updated by Verizon. This update BROKE my ccess to the router due to an invalid certificate.

Verizon support told me they have no idea why I cannot log into my router although this info is readily available on the internet now.

How and why does a supposedly reputable company screw their customers by locking them out of their routers? FYI, I purchased the router, hence I own it.

How and why does a supposedly reputable company tell the customer that the problem may be fixed if/when a new firmware update is available? Seriously?  Break it and don't worry about it?

How and why does a supposedly responsible company tell their customers they must do a hard reset to fix what they broke and, in the process, lose their complete setup? Why the hell isn't Verizon making a rollback update available for those impacted? 

If I call verizon to come to my house and fix my problem they will surely want to charge me. How is MY TIME worth nothing?  Verizon breaks things with a bad update, irresponsibly, and I have to spend time to fix it now?

Seriously!  This is just so irresponsible!

Certificate problem with Quantum G1100 continues
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

When will Verizon fix the certificate problem that stops so many of us from logging into our Quantum G1100 gateways?

What is taking so long?

0 Likes