Concerns with FiOS/Westell 9100em router/modem
chadthesad
Hello, I'm experiencing issues with slow load times, lag spikes and low upload speeds. The current setup in the house is four systems all with Linksys wireless-G adapters model WMP54G. All systems run windows XP as well. We have no wired connections, due to the location of the router/modem. The signal strenght is extremely good on all channels. Usually 80 to 100 percent varying on what channel is used from the router manager. Download speed is normally stable and fast but recently, I've been noticing significant drops, when running a speed test. It's usually 15mb/s download. Currently it's showing 7mb/s, I'm not sure what is causing the drop in performance, but I know something is amist. I wanted to post and see if anyone has advice, before I connect verizon tech support. Thank you in advanced.
0 Likes
Re: Concerns with FiOS/Westell 9100em router/modem
spacedebrisR
Contributor - Level 1

Several things to check....

First make sure that you reboot your router and computer, get a fresh connection and run a speed test. (use speedtest.net or speakeasy.net/speedtest )

Second, how far are you from the router. Even though the signal strength is strong, the **bleep**her away you are the more susceptible you are to interference

Next. If possible, you really need to connect at least one computer hard wired and run a speed test that way. With a hard wired test you can isolate between the internet connection and the wireless connection.

Depending on what we get from those tests would then suggest other things to look for

Message Edited by spacedebris on 04-30-2009 12:10 PM
0 Likes
chadthesad
I connected another PC that I own to a hard wired connection, directly into the router. I ran a speed test on speakeasy.net and the result was 20mb/s down 5 mb/s up. I also rebooted the router and then ran two more tests from a wireless computer, I got 14-15 mb/s down and 3-4 mb/s up. My computer is 38 feet line of sight from the router. Web page load times have increased as well. I think, it's improved but anything else I can do if the problem persists?
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Make sure you have security set on your wireless settings in your router. Someone else could be jumping on your connection. Look in the router to see if there are devices you do not recognize when this happens. Set top boxes will show as IP-STB, and you should know your computers. Resetting your router to default settings should put the router back with SSID and WEP key that match the label on your router. You can do this by pushing in the conceled button in the back of the router and holding the button in for 15 sec or more. I have used a paper clip for this.

If your security is set up properly, you could try setting your wireless settings in the router to use a different channel. It could be a new device near by that has started causing issues.

Message Edited by prisaz on 04-30-2009 10:23 PM
0 Likes
chadthesad
The problem is persisting, I have WEP security active, I know which computers are listed, there's four. I'm experiencing slow load times, hang-ups and network drops. The only reason I can think up is that it is happening on verizon's end. I doubt it's the router now, since I hard wired it and received solid connection speed. I'm going to contact customer support. Thank you for all the advice and tips.
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@chadthesad wrote:
The problem is persisting, I have WEP security active, I know which computers are listed, there's four. I'm experiencing slow load times, hang-ups and network drops. The only reason I can think up is that it is happening on verizon's end. I doubt it's the router now, since I hard wired it and received solid connection speed. I'm going to contact customer support. Thank you for all the advice and tips.
If when hardwired you get solid connection speed, it has to be a local issue with wireless. I thought that a different channel for your wireless might help. Have you tried different channels, and turning auto off, on the channel setting? Let us know the outcome of your customer support call.
0 Likes
Davenport

Hello.  I just received my FIOS internet connection yesterday.  I am running a Dell Inspirion 1150 wirelessly through the FIOS router.  I have the 20mb down/ 5mb up package.  I was having similar issues... being dropped, excessively low down/up speeds, etc.  I ran the verizon speedtest (which confirmed the low down/up speeds) however, at the bottom it stated that my laptop was not "optimized" and to click on the link for my system to be updated/optimized.  I followed the link, it installed an approximately 10mb file that automatically changed some of my laptop settings (I have no idea which ones).  It then told me to reboot.  After reboot, I no longer get dropped and my down speeds are 18-19 and my up speeds are 4ish.  I hope this helps.  Good luck.

Gary

Link to verizon speedtest:

http://www2.verizon.net/micro/speedtest/java/

0 Likes