Connect smart TV to ONT without using router?
Luvey
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have Fios TV, internet and phone.  My ONT is in the basement and is run to a router 2 floors above and at the other end of the house.  A smart TV, which is one floor directly above and only about 20 feet from the ONT, has poor Netflix performance using wirless internet that is at the other end of the house and a floor up.  I understand that the solution to the Netflix problem is to wire the TV directly to the internet.  However, this would require pulling ethernet wire from the router, down two floors and to the other end of the house and then back through the floor to the TV.

Coaxial cable connects the ONT to the router.  It would be simple to connect the ONT to the TV using the ONT's eithernet port, but it is unclear if that would work given that the router has a coaxial connection.

Can you offer any solutions?

0 Likes
Re: Connect smart TV to ONT without using router?
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

You can't connect the TV to the ethernet jack in the ONT.   Your WAN connection is currently provisioned over coax (MOCA WAN).  The ethernet jack in the ONT can't be used at the same time.

I would suggest getting a MOCA bridge.

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ethernet-Adapter-Service-ECB2500C/dp/B008C1JC4O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&q...

Simply connect one side to your coax and connect the ethernet side to your TV.

Re: Connect smart TV to ONT without using router?
Luvey
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks very much.

0 Likes