Connected to my FIOS SSID but WIFI is is talking to Xfinity. Help!
bat469

I am moving to an apartment that is part of a house. They have a cheap Xfinity connection. I got FIOS installed and had the ONT put in my apartment. The fiber is joined in the house portion at the old ONT. I haven’t moved in yet but when I go there, the WIFI shows the SSID connected as FIOS. When I do an Ookla speed test, it shows I have an xfinity connection and xfinity IP address. My speed matches the crappy xfinity at around 20mbps. I have a 400mbps connection. Sometimes I reboot the router, sometimes the ONT. If I cross my fingers, I get back to FIOS. When I leave with the device it reverts back to xfinity. I have left an iPad there and will return tomorrow to see if it holds and maybe something is happenig when I disconnect from the FIOS network. How is this possible? I’m not logged into Xfinity at all. I have reset network settings on the iOS devices and still have to jump through hoops to get my FIOS WIFI back. Any ideas?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Connected to my FIOS SSID but WIFI is is talking to Xfinity. Help!
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does the phone ditches the FiOS WiFi connection and chooses Xfinity? You can check this by going to Settings -> WiFi SSID. You can let your phone forget the Xfinity WiFi too. Go to Serttings -> WiFi -> current connection information icon -> Forget this Network.

bat469

Since I never connected to xfinity via password, I do not have the option of forget this network. 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't think a WiFi signal can force your phone to join.

How do you know your phone is connecting to Xfinity? Just by the speed test?

bat469

That, multiple speed tests. The Speedtest tells me what provider it’s talking to and it’s talking to xfinity. When I het back I’m going to check the IP configuration and make sure it’s assigning Fios the correct router , ip address and dns. Maybe I’ll need to manually configure and force it to accept Verizon. 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The provider listed in the speed test isn't the ISP your using.  It's the ISP the speed test server is hosted on.  Comcast hosts a lot of servers on the east coast, so you'll see their name pop up a lot.

Since you're connected to your router's WiFi, you are testing your FiOS link.

bat469

Sorry you’re wrong. The Speedtest informs you of your network information as well. Your IP address, the server etc. The first clue is that it says Xfinity right over my FIOS SSID. The second is in the user location section. It shows my network is providing a Comcast internal IP. Under this scenario I get 20 mbps. When I reboot a few times, Verizon appears over my FIOS SSID and the correct internal IP is displayed in the user location section and I get over 400 mbps as I should. Thanks anyway for trying to answer.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's very simple.  If you're connected to your FiOS SSID, you're on FiOS.

Post a screen shot.

bat469

No, I’m not. I understand networking pretty well. That’s why I know this isn’t right. Anyway soon I’ll confirm the problem. The IP configuration is probably loading the wrong address. Will switch to a manual configuration. Thanks. 

0 Likes
bat469

It’s hard to believe how far off the answers were. “No, no problem, if it is a Fios ssid you’re connected.” Well I was hoping for a quick answer but I just got false confidence. So here is the problem and solution. As I walked in the apartment I passed by the the part of the house that has the Xfinity router. With WiFi set to on, on my iOS devices, the fios ssid would connect to the xfinity router. So yes I had a FIOS SSID but the IP, DNS and router was Xfinity. Didn’t matter the SSID, I was on Xfinity. The solution; Turn WiFi off on the device, then turn it back on once in the apartment or manually configure the FIOS SSID to the Verizon IP and router. Problem solved. 

0 Likes