Connecting 2 Routers with a Single SSID
Jim978

Hi!

I want to connect a second identical router to my network.  I have two coax entry points on opposite sides of my house and want the second router to be on the side opposite the current router.  I am trying to work out the simplest way to accomplish this.  I've noticed that Verizon Home Agent will allow me to copy the settings of my current router, disconnect that router, connect the new router, then download the original settings to the new router.  I was thinking this might help accomplish my goal.

What if I changed the channel setting of my current router from automatic to channel 1, then swapped out that router for the second router?  Could I then change the address of the second router from 192.168.1.1 to something different, change the channel from 1 to 11 (for example), then plug in the original router in the new location?  Would that get the job done, or is it too simple to work?

Thanks!!

Jim

0 Likes
Re: Connecting 2 Routers with a Single SSID
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can't have two routers connected to the coax with both in the standard configuration.  They will both try to connect to the ONT for the internet WAN link, which will cause problems.

What are you trying to accomplish?  If your trying to get improved WiFi coverage, then you want to add an access point, not a router.  Otherwise, you'll be creating a 2nd network that won't be able to see anything on the first network.

A router can be turned into an access point.  The specifics of how to do this depend on the particular router model.  If it's an Actiontec, you'll need to access it's configuration web page and put it into "bridge" mode.  This is mildly complicated on the Acitiontecs.

If you don't yet have the 2nd router, you could purchase the Verizon Network Extender.  It works on coax or Ethernet.  It is plug and play - no configuration needed.  You can purchase it for $75 direct from Verizon here:

http://www.verizon.com/fiosaccessories

It will also add dual-band WiFi to your home, which can help with coverage.

Regardless of which router or access point you install, you can program it to the same SSID and password.  Then, WiFi clients will pick the best signal.

Good Luck.

Jim978

Thanks!

I will configure the new router as an access point.  I found a "how to" that seems to provide pretty clear step by step instructions.  Hey, what could go wrong?!

Jim

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Let me throw in a suggestion:

Others don't necessarily agree but when using mutliple WAPs I prefer different SSIDs for each WAP.  When moving from one end of our house to the other, I like to be able to look at my wifi device and be sure which WAP I'm connected to.  If you use the same SSID you can't be sure, nor can you easily switch to the strongest signal if your device doesn't switch automatically.

I also program different WAPs to different channels so they don't interfer with each other.

For whatever it's worth (or isn't).  Smiley Wink

0 Likes
Jim978

Set up a second router as a MOCA LAN bridge using an Actiontec M1424 router following the step by step instructions I found online.  Everything is working great.

Thanks again for your help!

Jim

0 Likes