Connecting a switch to a quantum gateway
MikeeR

I have a unique situation. My verizon quantum setup will come into the house into a closet in the corner of the basement. Thus wifi is not going to be great. I have an ethernet wire from that closet to my upstairs open area. Since all my hardwired ethernet cables come into that downstairs closet, the solution would be to hook an unmanaged gig switch to the ONT and then 1 port of the ONT to the upstairs connection where I would have them place the G3100 router upstairs and hook in all the other ethernets to the switch.. Might this work or does the switch HAVE TO be placed after the G3100... Thanks in advance.. they are coming wednesday but I want to but the switch tomorrow if I can use it.

0 Likes
Re: Connecting a switch to a quantum gateway
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Might this work or does the switch HAVE TO be placed after the G3100... 

The switch needs to be placed after the G3100. Not really we should use the word "after," it should really be the switch should be on the G3100's LAN. Another jargon (I will try to avoid jargons as many as possible) to clarify: G3100 is not the Quantum Gateway Router, G1100 is the Quantum Gateway. G3100 is BHR5, or publicly known as Fios Router, or Fios-G3100. G1100 is BHR4, or publicly known as Fios Quantum Gateway, or Fios-G1100.

Verizon's router, either being G3100 or G1100, separates the WAN from the LAN with a firewall, routes the traffic in between, and operates the Network Address Translation service to ensure many devices in your home network can communicate on the WAN using the router's single public IP address. A residential account cannot have multiple public IP addresses, so a router in between the LAN and WAN is a must for the network translation service. Another thing: you don't want to directly connect devices off the ONT because this will expose your devices to the wild public Internet, where hackers are prevalent.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Connect 1 of the lan ports on the Verizon router to the ethernet cable that goes to the upstairs area and add another router at the end of that ethernet cable.
Configure the upstairs router with a different DHCP range and SSID to the Verizon gateway router and configure the upstairs router with it's own WIFI security.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

A little misunderstanding here. You have two routers right? One G1100 and one G3100? Since you are not getting great WiFi coverage from G1100, why don't you just place the G1100 next to the ONT and connect Ethernet wires to the G1100's LAN ports. On the second floor, bridge the G3100 and connect an Ethernet wire to G3100's LAN ports.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

My reading of the OP post is that he has Fios on order but is expecting that he will be receiving a G3100 router which he is expecting to be installed in a wiring closet with hard wired connections to various parts of his premises and because the closet is in an enclosed space he is looking for a solution to get decent WIFI access upstairs.