Connecting two routers to ONT
ElBandido

Currently have an actiontec mi424wr connected using coax. I have an extra actiontec router and was wondering if I can connect the second router using the Ethernet port on the ONT at the same time.  I’m trying to use the second to get stronger WiFi throughout the house. Current router is on third floor and ONT is in basement.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connecting two routers to ONT
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can use the 2nd router as an access point. Simplest is to connect it's WAN port to a LAN port on the primary router, but that creates a somewhat separate network.

To use it as a true access point turn off it's DHCP server then connect it's LAN port to a LAN port on the primary.  Viola, access point.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. Two router can’t be connected at the ONT. You can get a mesh router system and connect that to the MI242WR’s LAN port. Or call and have Verizon switch you connection to ethernet then get rid of the MI242WR completely and use your own router. If you have FiOS TV that will make things  slightly more complicated. 

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can use the 2nd router as an access point. Simplest is to connect it's WAN port to a LAN port on the primary router, but that creates a somewhat separate network.

To use it as a true access point turn off it's DHCP server then connect it's LAN port to a LAN port on the primary.  Viola, access point.