could I just swap ONT myself?
satpert
Enthusiast - Level 1

I currently have Fios internet only (75 mbps) coax connected from old Tellabs 612 to G1100. Because it's old and I just happen to have latest I-211M-L, I was thinking about replacing it for possible speed upgrade down the road. In fact, it's been already setup (ethernet instead of coax) that only thing I need to do is disconnect fiber cable and connect to new ONT.  Is this self ONT replacement feasible?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: could I just swap ONT myself?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

ONTs are part of the network and belong to Verizon, not the user.  That "spare" ONT you have was likely removed from another premise and may be considered stolen by Verizon.

ONT replacement must be handled by a Verizon technician, as they don't want users messing with the fiber optics.  Further, ONTs need to be registered in the Verizon system and need to be switched to a GPON fiber.  These are things only techs can do.  If anything doesn't work right, they will fix it.  All of this means the tech must be physically present to handle any issues.

If you want faster speeds, your best course of action is to order an upgrade through the Verizon web-site.  They had been providing free upgrades for users still on BPON service (like 75/75).  I don't know if that's still the case, but if you start the online order process you'll find out before you place the order.   You may even find it's cheaper than your current plan.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Router swaps can be done by the customer.

ONT swaps require Verizon technicians to perform.

satpert
Enthusiast - Level 1

could it be then performed remotely, or the technician has to be at where ONT is ?

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

ONTs are part of the network and belong to Verizon, not the user.  That "spare" ONT you have was likely removed from another premise and may be considered stolen by Verizon.

ONT replacement must be handled by a Verizon technician, as they don't want users messing with the fiber optics.  Further, ONTs need to be registered in the Verizon system and need to be switched to a GPON fiber.  These are things only techs can do.  If anything doesn't work right, they will fix it.  All of this means the tech must be physically present to handle any issues.

If you want faster speeds, your best course of action is to order an upgrade through the Verizon web-site.  They had been providing free upgrades for users still on BPON service (like 75/75).  I don't know if that's still the case, but if you start the online order process you'll find out before you place the order.   You may even find it's cheaper than your current plan.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed. Please feel free to open a new thread for further discussion. Thank you.

0 Likes