Disabling SIP ALG on Verizon G3100 router
EKant000

I am currently working from home using a Polycom phone hooked up via ethernet to a G3100 router. Some calls have not been getting to me and the it guys indicate that it is because SIP ALG is enabled on port 5060 of my router. I read through the manual and look at the router interface and did not see any place where the SIP ALG could be turned off. My questions are:

Can SIP ALG be turned off on the router and if so where?

Can VZ turn off SIP ALG server side?

Can I use port triggering to send the SIP traffic to port 5062 to get around the ALG?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Disabling SIP ALG on Verizon G3100 router
FiOS_PC_guy1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The option to disable SIP ALG is not currently available on Verizon routers.

If you have a single VOIP phone, you can try to enable the DMZ host from the Firewall section of the G3100 GUI - set the IP to the phone's IP. This solved my VOIP phone problems. Let us know if it works.

View solution in original post

FiOS_PC_guy1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The option to disable SIP ALG is not currently available on Verizon routers.

If you have a single VOIP phone, you can try to enable the DMZ host from the Firewall section of the G3100 GUI - set the IP to the phone's IP. This solved my VOIP phone problems. Let us know if it works.

QuestioningTech

What about trying to use more than one iPhone to use wifi calling? Seems it auto connects and shows its connected to wifi calling at the top left of the iPhone, and sometimes its just not there unless I force airplane mode ?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

VoIP is not officially supported by Verizon. G3100 and G1100 only has features that are requested by Verizon, so they would be constrained to the features necessary to deliver the FiOS service.

It is typically advised for business customers and residential customers who would like to use VoIP to use their own router. If you have multiple VoIP lines, I suggest you to buy a router capable of hardware DMZ, not only software DMZ.

0 Likes
QuestioningTech

Thanks for the reply!

sometimes wifi calling is connected on the iPhone and sometimes not. Is it doing so due to Verizon not supporting the VoIP service? Meaning, if it's not supported, should it not connect at all? or is that the reason it does, then disconnects...?

Also, if I DMZ route one iPhone, then wifi calling should stick since it is bypassing the verizon routers blocks?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

WiFi calling is sort of beyond my knowledge. If someone else here is familiar with this issue. Please do chime in.

I would not recommend place anything in DMZ unless it has a robust host-based firewall. An IPhone, however, does not seem to contain a robust host-based firewall.

0 Likes
QuestioningTech

Thanks again!

This seems to be the same issue across all providers. Wifi calling somewhat works when using any of their provided routers. Although, when using a modem(Comcast/Cablevision, etc...) and installing our own vpn router with IPsec/enable and SIP/disable capabilities, then wifi calling seems to stick. Its starting to become more present now(during the pandemic) than previous. Could be related to network density(zoom calls, etc..) creating this drop issue with wifi calling. Not 100% sure, although, never seemed an issue before. Since Fios doesn't recommend bridging their router(VOD services, etc..), then kinda forced to use it, but with the limitation it seems... anyone have any thoughts on this, please do share.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Zoom call only uses less than 1 Mbps. I only see over 2 Mbps when attending a 100 people lecture and everyone had their cameras turned on.

May I ask why do you want WiFi-calling. Is your cellular signal not strong enough?

For resolving that, you can buy a Verizon LTE Extender for $250. Maybe too expensive. For pure internet-based calling, can you port your number to Google Voice?

0 Likes
QuestioningTech

The Verizon extender doesn't work well enough. Cell service doesn't exist in this area I am referring to. I tried the Verizon extender and it's worse than using wifi calling with having wifi calling drop. Besides, the cell extender would only cover a small portion of the house if it did work(which it doesn't). I have over 7k sq. ft to cover, which is why wifi calling becomes the best solution given the home is covered with a unifi wifi system via access point broadcasts.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

So you are making call through the Internet. Have you considered Google Voice and ObiHai box?

For stability and consistency, I would recommend home phone and cord/cordless handsets. Don't call me old-fashioned. I am still subscribed to landline and having home phones. In fact, this summer, we ordered another Panasonic base + handset combo to expand the single Panasonic base to three handsets. So, every time a spam call arrives, the entire house is filled with ringing tones...

We still occasionally use fax to send documents, too. I am considering switch to Google Voice, but unlimited international calls and e991 service keeps me with Verizon.

0 Likes