Re: Fios issues
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

FiOS doesn't use modems.  Just routers.

If your router is connected to the ONT via Ethernet WAN, you can use any router you like.  Know that Verizon won't support any issues past the ONT if you don't have one of their routers.  Not typically a problem, but you need to know that if you decide to switch to a non-Verizon router.

If you are currently provisioned for Coax WAN, you can contact Verizon via chat, Twitter support or the VZ Direct forum at dslreports.com and have them switch to Ethernet.  Once you talk to them, it only takes a few minutes to switch.  There should be no charge to switch.  Of course, you'll need to run an Ethernet cable from the ONT's WAN port to the router.  If you can't do that yourself, you'll need to hire someone or wait until Verizon resumes on-site tech visits.

For the record, FiOS is rock solid for me in suburban Philly.  I haven't had any issues with it for the decade or so I've had it, even now.  I use the Verizon G1100 router, as I have their TV service.  That, too, has been a solid performer for me, although the WiFi range isn't as good as the previous Verizon router.

Goodspeedplz
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have Ethernet And coaxial coming not my router.   And for the most part I haven’t had to many issues with Fios just lately it’s been terrible and it’s magnified because my wife has to work form home and my kids are home schooling via computer.   I can’t get any answer when I talk to anyone for. Verizon because from them to my router the speed is silly...but from router to device it’s slow even wired.   I just can’t get any answers and if it is the router then I need to change it ASAP .

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Verizon doesn’t use modems. Just routers. If you purchase a high end router like I use Netgear Nighthawk it will be around $400 however the rental for a G3100 is $13 a month with terrible wifi and other issues. So $156 a year times 2 is $312 so it may very well be in your best interest to get a non verizon router.

as the other poster stated your support is only up to the ONT on your home. But routers last for many years and their GUI is easy to understand to make changes. But the ones with external antennas since they reach much farther. And get AC/N or the new faster AX bands which are far superior. It can be cheaper in cost for a TP Link Archer or Asus as well as certain Netgear routers.

you will need to switch over to ethernet from MOCA WAN and you never stated what speed you are provisioned for so that may also be an issue.

0 Likes
QualityIsDead
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've seen this suggestion of visiting dslreports.com. Is this site run by Verizon? TBH, it seems weird that Verizon tech would monitor a 3rd party site more than their own forums that they pay to keep up for compute and storage.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@QualityIsDead wrote:

I've seen this suggestion of visiting dslreports.com. Is this site run by Verizon?

It is not run by Verizon.

@QualityIsDead wrote:

TBH, it seems weird that Verizon tech would monitor a 3rd party site more than their own forums that they pay to keep up for compute and storage.

That 3rd party site got started before Verizon's official forums and I have no idea of how much they monitor 3rd party site(s) vs their own.

Want proof that the third party site got started before this one? Ok.

#1 In https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Community-Announcements/bd-p/Announcements the oldest possible post/thread that I found goes back to 2015.

#2 vs the site DSLR.

-> Found at https://www.dslreports.com/aboutdsl

Mentions in newspapers, magazines, and online:

CNN.com October 13, 1999

of course there are newer mentions in newspapers, magazines, and online for the site DSLR.

-> For forums on that site is harder, since users (Note: I do not know of this is true of admins/mods too) can only browse back so many pages back even through there are more older threads.

So I found the oldest possible thread of mine in the (public) Verizon forums over there.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r12477782-FIOS-Bethlehem-Township-PA

Date+time of that posting 2005-Jan-24 8:44 pm

--

Moving along...

While this is their own forum, please keep in mind this is mainly a another peer to peer forum.

Also at that other forum there is an ISP direct area (like Verizon Direct).

In plain straight english: You will be talking directly to Verizon Tech over there and post in that area private info.

Private info that is allowed to post in a direct area include but is not limited to: Full phone number, full personal snail mail address, Full account number, full name of account owner and as need be your full name if not the account owner.

By allowed to post private info in the direct areas, put it this way to you. If you posted that info in the any of the public area(s), your post would be re-edited by an admin/ a mod to remove that info if you do not remove that info your self.

jonjones1
Legend

As the other poster explained, http://www.dslreports.com is not a verizon mirror site but independent of verizon. They have verizon direct to get quick response to folks that cannot seem to get assists elsewhere.

verizon direct is real verizon social media personnel. Many folks will state that for some reason the verizon direct people over there actually know what they are doing and accomplish much. Some folks say go to twitter which I have found is not much help at all basically lip service. Go to twitter and judge for yourself.

the other benefit of using dsl reports is you can give advice and comments without it being considered offensive here on the official forum. 

when on the few occasions I had to call verizon support at 1-800-VERIZON I had a quick resolution (this was five years ago) and the young lady was great and I have not had any issues with my gigabyte internet only service. Fios when it functions as it should is an outstanding product. Support today well it’s not that great and verizon has some issues.