DNS Server isn't responding
MT73
Enthusiast - Level 3

Some time ago I noticed that when I open up IE11 there is a very long delay waiting for the home page to open followed by an error page stating there is no connection and offers a Windows Network Diagnostic tool to "fix" the problem.  After the tool runs for a short while, it returns with "The DNS Server isn't responding -- Detected".  After I close the tool window, everything works fine from then on.

So, what's up with that?  Is it a Verizon problem, a [Verizon provided] router problem or a problem on my side?  I'm using the router Verizon provided when I opened the FIOS account about 3 years ago.  I understand there is a new router out there and a local Verizon store told me that's what I needed ($100) to fix a problem that I don't believe is mine to fix.

BTW, when I told the rep at the local Verizon [operated] store about my Internet woes, he said "sounds like a router issue, because you're having Internet issues, I'll hook you up with free HBO for a year."  I asked what about replacing my router and was told about the $100 box.

0 Likes
Re: DNS Server isn't responding
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try changing the DNS servers being used by the routers.  OpenDNS is a good option for that and te link below will advise you how to do that.

https://store.opendns.com/setup/router/

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

It might also be worthwhile to use DNS Benchmark, a free utilty from GRC, to find the best DNS server(s) for your use.

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

OpenDNS is not the best choice from my location.

db909
Contributor - Level 3

@eljefe wrote:

It might also be worthwhile to use DNS Benchmark, a free utilty from GRC, to find the best DNS server(s) for your use.

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

OpenDNS is not the best choice from my location.

Agreed.  After running that app I detemined that google or level 3 are the best in my location.

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

The problem with using Benchmark or other tool to pick the "best DNS service"  is what is best right now may not be the best ten minutes from now.

Also by having your in home router make the DNS look up instead  of using Verizon's network gear you potentially bog down your router by giving it more work to do.  Also if your ISP is doing their job they should be checking that the DNS servers they are using are responsive.

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

@CaptainSTX wrote:

The problem with using Benchmark or other tool to pick the "best DNS service"  is what is best right now may not be the best ten minutes from now.

Also by having your in home router make the DNS look up instead  of using Verizon's network gear you potentially bog down your router by giving it more work to do.  Also if your ISP is doing their job they should be checking that the DNS servers they are using are responsive.

Good points, though I run it periodically and have confirmed over the last 6 months that google and level 3 are consistently the best for me. My router can handle that extra  little bit of overhead and I prefer the greater relaibility and speed.  Having said that, except for when FIOS has DNS issues, the difference is not that big.  That is the main reason, FIOS is not as reliable, about once a month  they have DNS issues.

0 Likes