Domain-name lookup not working
jhey1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Periodically, but up to HOURS at a time, the various computers in this house have no domain-name lookup.  That is, although connectivity is fine via numerical IP-addresses (say, via 'ping'), any browser activity hangs and eventually reports 'server not found'.  (Multiple browsers, including 'ping', and multiple computers.)

My understanding of networks (admittedly limited) says that this issue must lie "outside the house", but Verizon keeps accusing the router -- which makes no sense to me, not least because a router can't distinguish what a 'domain-name lookup request' is, and that is literally the only thing that's failing.

Anybody have any insight/experience with this snafu?

Much thx

-Desperate

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Domain-name lookup not working
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Hi, 

A reverse DNS issue (which is what you have or are describing) can be caused by a number of things. It can be a problem outside the home, but most commonly it's inside.  It could be the router for example not handling the DNS query properly.  It could be a firewall (firewalls are active and they scan paclets on the fly so it could potentally work one minute and not th enext) or child protection software.

Are you using the default configuration settings for the router?  

What happens if you use different DNS servers? 

Try to configure at least one machine with openDNS and see if that pc or device remains connected while the others get disconnected.

https://use.opendns.com/

if Verizon hasn't replaced the router, then it might simply be a router that is starting to go bad.

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Hi, 

A reverse DNS issue (which is what you have or are describing) can be caused by a number of things. It can be a problem outside the home, but most commonly it's inside.  It could be the router for example not handling the DNS query properly.  It could be a firewall (firewalls are active and they scan paclets on the fly so it could potentally work one minute and not th enext) or child protection software.

Are you using the default configuration settings for the router?  

What happens if you use different DNS servers? 

Try to configure at least one machine with openDNS and see if that pc or device remains connected while the others get disconnected.

https://use.opendns.com/

if Verizon hasn't replaced the router, then it might simply be a router that is starting to go bad.

jhey1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Good lord... that look like useful info.  I'll explore and post results.

Much appreciated.

0 Likes
jhey1
Enthusiast - Level 1

The snafu hasn't reoccurred for a couple of days, but a new router is on the way ...and, in the meantime, I'm smarter for now.

Thanks again!

0 Likes