Enable and Configure Ethernet Port
cpezie

I called Verizon and asked to have my router changed from COAX to Ethernet.  I was transferred from tech support "i think" to Billing.  They told me that they had to send out a tech to have that done..???

Before calling them I logged into the verizon router and enabled the Ethernet port | plugged the cable into the WAN port of the verizon router and the WAN port of my linksys small business WRV210 router.

Once this was done I lost access to the router and internet.

I assume I can just enable the ethernet port but I'm not sure of the additional steps required.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx,

0 Likes
Re: Enable and Configure Ethernet Port
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

1st. Yes they have to come out and run an Ethernet from the ONT to the router if you want to use ethernet rather than coax. Unless you want to run it yourself.

2nd. You dont connect routers WAN to WAN. You connect them LAN to WAN. So if you want to add your linksys to the network you would run an ethernet from your Verizons LAN to your Linksys WAN (dont forget to change the Linksys's IP as it is the same as Verizons and you will get a conflict)

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@cpezie wrote:

I called Verizon and asked to have my router changed from COAX to Ethernet.  I was transferred from tech support "i think" to Billing.  They told me that they had to send out a tech to have that done..???

Before calling them I logged into the verizon router and enabled the Ethernet port | plugged the cable into the WAN port of the verizon router and the WAN port of my linksys small business WRV210 router.

I assume I can just enable the ethernet port but I'm not sure of the additional steps required.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx,

You need to ask them to provison the ONT for ethernet which will disable interent access over the coax connector.  Then you connect an ethernet cable from the ONT ethernet port to the WAN ethernet port on the VZ router.  The a lan port from the VZ ethernet router to the wan port on the Linksys, after ,as the other poster said, making sure that it is not using subnet 192.168.1 

There should be no need for a tech to visit to accomplish thisso long as you are confident enough to run a cat5 or cat6 cable from the ONT to the router.

cpezie

Well Verizon wouldn't "enable" my Ethernet port over the phone.   They insisted that a tech come out, free of charge.  What does ONT standard for any ways.

So once verizon enables the ethernet port I should then be able to connect the ONT to the V Router Wan port.

Connect a V Router LAN port to a Linksys Router WAN port.

Change the ip range on the linksys to something other than 192.168.1.x

Issue:

I did this when I first had fios installed except I never enabled the Ethernet port so I obviously didn't used the V Router WAN port.   I just plugged the V router LAN port into the L router WAN port.  Changed the ip address scheme and could get out to the internet.  I still have it configured that way.

However I can't send smtp email nor can I rdp from the internet to one of my internal pcs,  eventhough I configured the port forwarding rules on the V router and L router to allow my access.

So I figured it was an issue with my setup.

Traceroutes from the internal network to the internet and to the gateway all looked good but still had email and rdp issues.

Did  miss something when I setup my routers?

0 Likes
abhi_col
Contributor - Level 3

@cpezie wrote:

Well Verizon wouldn't "enable" my Ethernet port over the phone.   They insisted that a tech come out, free of charge.  What does ONT standard for any ways.

So once verizon enables the ethernet port I should then be able to connect the ONT to the V Router Wan port.

Issue:

I did this when I first had fios installed except I never enabled the Ethernet port so I obviously didn't used the V Router WAN port.   I just plugged the V router LAN port into the L router WAN port.  Changed the ip address scheme and could get out to the internet.  I still have it configured that way.

However I can't send smtp email nor can I rdp from the internet to one of my internal pcs,  eventhough I configured the port forwarding rules on the V router and L router to allow my access.

Traceroutes from the internal network to the internet and to the gateway all looked good but still had email and rdp issues.

Do you FiOS TV service? If yes and if you decide to remove verizon router your guide and vod will not work.

If you only want to add linksys router after the verizon router on your home network, you DO NOT need a tech or switch to ethernet port on ONT or do anything with verizon setup. You will only need to configure the verizon router to give your linksys router an ip and so on...I assume you know how to do that.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@cpezie wrote:

I called Verizon and asked to have my router changed from COAX to Ethernet.  They told me that they had to send out a tech to have that done..???

As others have said, you don't need a tech if you run your own cat5 cable from the ONT to either the Actiontec WAN or Linksys WAN port.  Here's a walkthrough of switching from coax WAN to cat5 WAN.

Replacing the Actiontec (part 1): Coax to Ethernet  

That link includes step-by-step instructions and how to request the switchover. 

@cpezie wrote:

No, you can't just enable the ethernet port on the router.  It has to be enabled by VZ at the ONT.  

Steps required are in the FAQ linked above.   The router will autodetect when the WAN connection has been changed.

@cpezie wrote:

I plugged the cable into the WAN port of the verizon router and the WAN port of my linksys small business WRV210 router.

From that statement, I can't tell what you connected to what.

• Where does the cable go that you plugged into the Actiontec WAN port?
  • Where does the cable go that you plugged into the Linksys WAN port?

Your loss of internet is probably due to enabling the ethernet WAN port (and disabling the COAX WAN port), since you internet connection will continue to be delived over coax until VZ reprovisions the ONT.

@cpezie wrote:

What does ONT standard for any ways.  

What is ONT: Optical Network Terminal?

@cpezie wrote:

So once verizon enables the ethernet port I should then be able to connect the ONT to the V Router Wan port

Yes.

@cpezie wrote:

VZ blocks outbound port 25 (SMTP) outside of their network to cut down on spam bots.

Configure your mail client to use a different port.

If you're trying to RDP from the internet to a PC behind the Linksys, you're double NAT'ed.

You need to open port forwards for RDP in both routers.

If you have FIOS-TV, you should review the trade-offs of the various router to router configurations.

What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@cpezie wrote:

Issue:

ONT - Optical Network Terminal that large box where the fiber opic cable terminates.

Your first setup was correct.  Youy do not need the ONT changed to ethernet.  The coax connection to the router replaces the ethernet connection.  MOCA provides IP over coax between the ONT and the VZ router

For outgoing SMTP mail you should use outgoing.verizon.net as the the server with either port 25 or 587.  If you want to use any other outgoing smtp mail server it must use something other than 25 else the mail will be blocked.

You are correct that you need to set up port forwarding rules in both the VZ router and the Linksys router to be able to rdp to a machine behind the linksys.  If you did this and it still doesn't work then there is something wrong with your port forwarding rules.

The rule in the VZ router must forward your rdp port to the linksys router.  By default the RDP port is 3389 but you can use any port you like if you change the listener on the device you are trying to get to.  Of course you could also use any obscure port you like and forward that to port 3389 on the next device.  It will make life easier for your port forwarding if you make the linksys a static address on the 192.168.1 subnet.

The vz router port forward rule should look like this

Note that I fixed the IP address of the next router to 192.168.1.254.  I removed that address from the vz router dhcp pool

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

They can just enable the Ethernet port on the ONT, but as stated you must have an Ethernet cable from the ONT to your router, Pay them, or do it yourself, or pay an electrician. It would probably be just as cheap to have them come out. Unless you have someone competent to do the cable. If you have the cable run, they should switch the port from coax to Ethernet at no cost, but the tech department needs a work order so they can track who has what. Also if you have TV service you must use their router to provide the connection to the STBs.