Re: Enclosure Request When Upgrading ONT
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Edg1 I've heard that they simply don't use enclosures for indoor installs anymore due to cost savings.  All of the pictures of recent installs I've seen like the one at the OP's friends house or show an ONT simply sitting on a horizontal surface.  I haven't seen reports or pictures of an indoor ONT in an any enclosure in years.  That doesn't mean they don't do it, just that everything I've heard points to them not using enclosures indoors.

The friends house doesn't look too bad - the ONT is neatly mounted to the available vertical surface.  The tech left the fiber slack tray from the old Telllabs ONT.  While it's not covered, it's still a reasonable way to hold the slack.  I am wondering why the power supply wasn't mounted to the same board as the ONT, maybe it was just a bit too far for the AC mains cord.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hi edg1,

Our church went with Comcast because Verizon refused to extend FiOS fiber to the building. I agree that my friend's installation doesn't look good. It is proper for the available space, but, it looks poor.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here is a picture of the original installation at my friend's house...

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am seeing some cheap plastic electrical boxes on Amazon. Maybe you can buy one and place your ONT in it? I know this is not ideal, but at least you have an enclosure.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm considering cutting a piece of wood to create an overhang of sorts and securing it to the existing backboard via a pair of angle brackets. The wood would prevent dried particles that fall from the ceiling from landing on the ONT.

Of course, that all depends on how the new ONT is mounted and if Verizon is not able to supply an enclosure.

Wiring....I guess I could straighten up any sloppy work if that happens.

The wiring for the two POTS lines will need to be changed as the Al-Lu requires wires be terminated with 6p-4c modular plugs as opposed to the method utilized by the Tellabs. I have a good supply of 2/24 CAT3 cable and modular plugs so no problem there.

Lastly, even though my calculations don't indicate attenuation issues, I may swap the RG6 that runs from the ONT to the first splitter with RG11. Reflectance shouldn't be a problem. But...I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. 🙂

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

A piece of wood and angle brackets, interesting. Do you have these materials readily available in your house or you need to purchase them? If you need to buy these materials, the total price may be comparable to a plastic electrical enclosure. I think either way is fine.

The Nokia POTs are RJ11. In a supplied enclosure, a patch bay (?) is likely provided to connect to home data wiring. It looks like you have RJ11 connectors too, so you can make your own terminations. I believe a field tech would have a set of cable termination tools too. You can ask the technician to terminate wires if needed. 

For Coax attenuation, just don't worry about it. The signal from the ONT is quite strong and it should not have problems for a long run and several splitters.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would need to pick-up suitably sized angled brackets (the ones I currently have are too large). Wood...no problem there as well as wood screws.

I prefer the telephone wiring arrangement utilized by the Tellabs unit. Wires terminate into clips while jacks are meant for testing purposes. I've had crimped connections loosen over time. Smaller modular plugs tend to work better with flat ribbon cable as opposed to round station cables. And ribbon cable isn't meant to be terminated on 66 blocks. I may pre-run new cables. 

An online associate mentioned that the video output of ONTs is +10db and that converter boxes look for a signal floor of -10db. My loss calculations are good all around (even accounting for 90 degree adapters). No inline couplers. 🙂

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Before I wrap up this topic (despite receiving the answer to my original question a while back.....I've enjoyed conversing about the Al-Lu ONT and what to expect from Verizon) I want to field one more question.

I created two new line cords for the POTS lines that will be carried over. The third telephone line is supposedly going to be disconnected in the not too distant future.

I have the four conductors positioned as follows when looking at the contacts on the 6p/4c (RJ-11) plug.

From left to right: L2 Ring/L1 Tip/L1 Ring/L2 Tip.

Will this configuration result in the proper polarity at the 66/50 block when using the white/blue as tip & blue/white as ring?

I realize that polarity doesn't mean much these days as modern consumer and commercial telephone equipment isn't polarity sensitive like it was pre-divestiture. But still, I am shooting for correct wiring as would be expected of Bell technicians back in the "old days". 

In the attached photo L2 Ring is on top. 🙂

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I've no clue about polarity, as I haven't worried about it in decades for the reasons you mention.  Everything just works.

If it really matters to you, dust off your but set and measure the polarity when you get the new ONT.