Ethernet works, no WiFi.
dukeagles21
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi all,

Super frustrating situation. Haven't had internet since getting FIOS on Friday. Tech came out and installed everything, wifi worked for 10 minutes before losing internet connection. After three hours of support, a new router was sent yesterday.

Re-installed this router, more support and still the same end result. I can't connect to my Fios gateway anymore. After multiple reboots of router, ONT, and changing wires, it looks like I'm going to get charged for a tech to come back out. 

I can't figure out why the wireless does not work, but the wired (straight from ONT) works. Any help would be awesome......

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Ethernet works, no WiFi.
dukeagles21
Enthusiast - Level 2

To end the discussion here, this ended up being an ONT problem.

Apparently, the data port was corrupted? After the technician came out and recognized that the IP/DCHP were not refreshing, he was able to get it to work for an hour or so.

He came back again later after the issue returned, replaced the ONT, and this has been running smoothly since. Woof.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

https://www.verizon.com/cs/groups/public/documents/adacct/fios-qgr-userguide1409251.pdf

First thing to check is that wifi is actually turned on. Yeah it sounds crazy but check that first. If using just the Quantum router make sure the 2.4 & 5 Ghz bands are turned on and that you are connecting with the correct SSID and password. Now I have found that if you go into the wireless settings and change the SSID to something else and also change the password in the same spot in wireless. Also make sure the settings are for “auto” for the channel connection. And that you have the security settings at WPA/2

additionally I would make sure the devices you are trying to connect are capable of connecting at their respective 2.4 & 5 Ghz. (Make sure the SSID is correct as well as the password is both upper and lower case with a few numbers added for good measure)

it could be iffy but Verizon routers are not the best and you could have gotten two bad ones. I would try another one.

if the techs came back out, didn’t they check that it was stable and functional? Yeah they like to charge for everything but it is a business after all.

you could also before you do all the above simply hit the reset button on the Quantum router with a paper clip. This way the router sets to defaults. No need to touch the ONT since it’s just the WiFi in the Quantum Gateway Router that is faulty.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Be sure you release the IP address from your PC before trying to connect the router back up to your ONT. If you do forget to release the IP address, Verizon can reset your connection to break the DHCP Lease.

On Windows, to break your DHCP lease, open Command Prompt or PowerShell and type "ipconfig /release" . Press Enter. Once this is done, disconnect your PC from the ONT immediately, so it does not attempt to get an IP Address.

0 Likes
dukeagles21
Enthusiast - Level 2

None of these worked, btw. 

I was able to do all of the steps and after releasing the DHCP, my internet worked for five minutes and then stopped again.

I've been told by support it could the CAT 6 or the coax, both I've changed. Any other tips?

The wifi falling out after a few minutes has happened three times.

Thanks,

Rob

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@dukeagles21wrote:

None of these worked, btw. 

I was able to do all of the steps and after releasing the DHCP, my internet worked for five minutes and then stopped again.

I've been told by support it could the CAT 6 or the coax, both I've changed. Any other tips?

The wifi falling out after a few minutes has happened three times.

Thanks,

Rob

Could be a bad router. It does happen. Did you try not using a Verizon router? You can do so but you need to know that Verizon will give no support past the ONT if you do.

0 Likes
dukeagles21
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is actually the second one that had been sent out. Hoping it's something that is wiring at this point from the initial install. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@dukeagles21wrote:

This is actually the second one that had been sent out. Hoping it's something that is wiring at this point from the initial install. 

If you eliminate the router and you have not tested with a non Verizon router it could be a bad ONT or twisted pair done by the installer. A store bought cat 6 ethernet cable from the ont to the router may fix the issue, or let the tech redo the ethernet to insure it’s giving proper response.

the tech should have tested the install prior to leaving your home. A shame you have to suffer now for sheer laziness.

0 Likes
dukeagles21
Enthusiast - Level 2

He did stay, to be honest and the internet was working. 

I've just had it dropped four times and not come back so I'm leaning towards a software issue now .Had support release IP and renew DHCP tonight and it worked for 15 minutes before it dropped again. 

After awhile, the DHCP release option isn't available thru the gateway so not sure what to do there. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@dukeagles21wrote:

He did stay, to be honest and the internet was working. 

I've just had it dropped four times and not come back so I'm leaning towards a software issue now .Had support release IP and renew DHCP tonight and it worked for 15 minutes before it dropped again. 

After awhile, the DHCP release option isn't available thru the gateway so not sure what to do there. 

The time to release and renew is normally just a cycling of the same dhcp address. If you were to unplug the router and wait 2 hours it should grab another dhcp address.

you could like I told another poster try a customer owned router either as a stand alone or in access point mode turned on in your store bought router. With the Verizon router as primary with ethernet from ONT to WAN port on Quantum Gateway and then hook another ethernet cable from the Quantum routers LAN port (there are 4 ports) to the WAN port on your store bought router. After access point is on you can go into the Quantum routers settings and turn off WiFi and just let your own router assign ip addresses and the better WiFi.

its an expense I know but with a Verizon router in the mix you still get tech support.

without it they service up to the ONT only.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?

Sorry I forgot a link that may assist you. Try section 2.1 first.

0 Likes