extreme slow upload speed in Dallas area
qtippy

Hello

Something happened to my upload speed last Thursday, it has dropped considerably connecting to most servers making many sites very sluggish. I have the hardest time just attaching a file in Gmail and the gmail chat keeps saying 'unable to connect'. Using FTP for my work is almost impossible. It's takes me 5-10 tries to upload a file that's not even 50KB.

I've called Verizon tech support and went through different diagnostics and then they sent a new router, which still didn't help. Here's what I concluded so far:

It's not the router

It's not the computer since it happens on every machine

It's not the wiring since I can get good speed test connecting to some servers.

It's not the servers that i'm connecting to; everything works when i'm at work or on the phone.

I have 15/5, I've attached some speed test results.

Verizon's own speed test page even timed our during upload, which was stuck under 0.5 when it was about to finish.

Anyone else experiencing this? Verizon say my issue is currently with the engineers, but I have no idea how long that wait to be.

Thank you

0 Likes
Re: extreme slow upload speed in Dallas area
Justin46
Legend

Working fine for me. I am in Keller, I just did a Verizon speed test to the server in Carrollton:

I have 25/25 service. I also did several Speedtest.net tests to a couple of different servers, in Keller and Dallas, the results were pretty much the same as the Verizon test.

Assuming you are in a single family residence, have you tried resetting the ONT? Can't hurt, might help. Are you connected via coax for internet or do you have ethernet? If coax, maybe check the coax connections from the ONT to the splitter and from there to the router. Do you have TV service? If so, any reception problems on some or all channels? If so, that could sort of confirm a coax connection problem.

Of course it could be something in the Central Office, but in that case I think other users in your neighborhood would probably be experiencing the same problem; have you checked with any of your neighbors?

Other than the above, sorry, I have no ideas, I have never experienced what you are seeing in my 8 years with FiOS. Good luck!

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
qtippy

Hmmmm not sure why a mod edited my post and remove my speed test screenshots..

anways the results were:

on speedtest.net - local test: 15mb download, 5mb upload (normal)

on speedtest.net - Texas-to-Washington: 15mb download, 1.5mb upload

on speedtest.verizon - local test: 15mb download, 0.5 upload and timed out before test finished

Thanks Justin, I'll check the ONT; I haven't thought about the box in garage to my router.

0 Likes
qtippy

Ah, mod said one of the screenshots has my IP in it, here's a repost:

And no I don't have a TV package so I can't look at cable image quality, I imagine it wouldn't be affected since it's only upstream slow.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Yeah I saw your IP address there, it is generally not a good idea to post it anywhere on the web, so the Mods here typically remove any IP addresses.

The reason I suggested checing the coax connections is that FiOS uses different frequencies to transmit internet data (and TV signals if you have that service), and coax is notorious for loose or corroded connections, or damaged cable, causing poor signal levels and quality at only certain frequencies, while passing signals at other frequencies just fine.

You indicated that this problem showed up since last Thursday; I wonder if maybe some update to your system, from Microsoft or maybe from your network adapter manufacturer, is causing this. Can you maybe try using System Restore to set your system back to a time prior to when the problem showed up, like Wednesday, and see if the problem goes away? This will only affect system files, not your data files, etc.

One other thing you might try is to turn off your router overnight to force getting a new IP address. I don't know why this would help, but you never know....

I wish I had more help to offer, but as you can see I can go to the same Verizon server and get perfectly good results, so I do think it is somewhere in your house. I hope you can find a solution quickly, and when you do I hope you will come back and tell us what the problem and solution were. Once again, good luck!

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
qtippy

Is there any Verizon representative that can escalate my issue?

Basically a tech came last Saturday and wasn't able to figure out what was wrong and left and closed my ticket. Whenever I call back now they're just telling me it's my computer, which is completely FALSE. All my 5-6 computer just doesn't happen to have slow upload speed of the sudden and require modification to RWin buffer as the suggested by the on-site tech. Verizon phone support bluntly told me they can't do anything further and would charge me for coming out again to replicate my issue.

Things the tech have already tried:

-Run Fios Optimizer multiple times on multiple computers.

-Replaced router

-Replaced ONT

-Rebooted PON card

Upload speed still sporadic, works perfect on some speedtests, but it's less than 0.5MB on many servers including Verizon's very own local speedtest. Gmail and any google site request is constantly slow. This site is slow and often times out. FTP to my own site is almost impossible if I want to upload a file that's bigger than 100kb. 

I'm extremely frustrated.... There are reports of same exact issues in other thread, one seems to be fixed. Is there any way Verizon can look at that and apply it here?

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Slow-upload-and-tired-of-techs-closing-tickets/td-p/62221...

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Slow-upload-speed-on-evenings-for-almost-2-months-now-on-...

Problem was fixed for Headhunter6

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Unusable-upload-speed-at-night-and-during-weekend/td-p/62...

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/extreme-slow-upload-speed-in-Dallas-area/td-p/619117

Is it because I'm using a community account on this forum so I'm being ignored?

I've tried to sign up using my residential account, but got this yellow error page.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi qtippy,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
djd13

I having the exact same problem, starting a few weeks ago.  Also in Dallas area.   Has there been any progress on troubleshooting?   One thing i noticed is that it works fine in the early morning.   I did speedtest around 6am and get my 15M/5M consistently.  In the evening, same PC, same server, get 15M/500k.  

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Hello qtippy,

We were able to get your issue resolved. Please let us know if you have any more comments, questions or concerns regarding your service. Have a great day and thank you for reaching out to us here on the community forums.

Rachel_VZ

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Verizon_Support wrote:

Hello qtippy,

We were able to get your issue resolved. Please let us know if you have any more comments, questions or concerns regarding your service. Have a great day and thank you for reaching out to us here on the community forums.

Rachel_VZ

Since I am also in the Dallas area (Keller) and never experienced the problem, can you give a quick general update on what the fix was? Why did I not see it, we are all served out of the same location, Carrollton?

In fact, when you Verizon support people reply like this that a problem has been resolved, it would really be nice if you would provide a one or two line summary of the solution; no detail, just info that could help someone else with a similar problem explain the issue/solution to tech support up front.

Thanks.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes