FiOs Acting Funny
AyyLma0

I recently moved into a new house with Fiber internet in Virginia. I am on Fios and I usually get roughly 80 mbps down 80 mbps up. I am less than 20 feet away from my Verizon router and I continually am dropping between 2-4 bar connection. When I am on 2 bars I only get roughly 14 mbps down 20 mbps up. It tends to drop and vary a lot even though I am less than a room over. There are currently no other devices connected to my wifi except mine so nothing would be taking up bandwith or anything like that.

0 Likes
Re: FiOs Acting Funny
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have neighbors nearby? If so, it is possible their WIFI is impacting yours.

Try changing the channel on your rotuer to another channel and see if that helps.

0 Likes
AyyLma0

How would I do that?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Login to the router at 192.168.1.1

Select wireless settings

select basic security settings

Under Channel select a channel

Select apply

Try changing them until you find the one with best reception

0 Likes
AyyLma0

The neighbor on my left is 91 years old and has no internet and the neighbor to my right is an abandoned house currently. What else could I do?

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@AyyLma0 wrote:

The neighbor on my left is 91 years old and has no internet and the neighbor to my right is an abandoned house currently. What else could I do?

There are many more things that can interfere with wifi signal than competing routers. In a Verizon FiOS area, that's just the most likely.

Changing the channel is still the best first step.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What router are you using? That sort of range drop sounds like you're on 5Ghz.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@AyyLma0 wrote:

change the channel, many, many devices competing for wifi channels, cordless phones etc.

0 Likes