FIOS down for 4 days, tips?
BenR2

Hi,
So last night all of my FIOS services went down at about 9PM.

No TV, Internet, or phone.

The black box that the fiber goes into sporadically blinks it's "Fail" light. (I'll call it the modem)

The first person I talked to tried to reset the modem a few times, and after that failed, told me that they would have to send someone out.  The earliest time they could give me is "some time on Friday".

Depending on when, it could be 3-4 days.  They said they would put me a on an "expedited" list in case something opens up.

The second person I spoke to said that he would leave a note for the dispatch center and I should expect a call in the morning.  I got no call. 

The third person advised me to keep calling back to check for openings as they are swamped.

Something in the back of my mind suspects I'm experiencing some tactics to keep me occupied... 

I think this is pretty crazy.  I mean, if I had a full family and all of these services were out for 4 days, it would be insane!

I have a really hard time believing that FIOS could run so thin on manpower without any ability to respond quickly to an outage....

The good news is that they should automatically credit me for the days I am out of service.

Honestly though, if a friend asks me about fios, I would have to warn them that that they could be out of service for 4 days due to a random technical hiccup.  This can't be what FIOS wants.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS down for 4 days, tips?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

The fiber goes into a ONT.  It may be possible to reset it by disconnecting from the power and removing the battery, if you have one.  Wait at least 30 seconds and then reverse the process.  Obviously if its a bad Ont you have to wait and they are slow these days getting to service calls.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS down for 4 days, tips?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

No way they could automatically restart the router What you are calling a modem) remotely if it shows failed status.

Reboot the router by turning it off, wait 30 seconds,  turn it back on.  It should then restart and reconnect to the ONT via the coax connection.  If it still shows a failed status then either the coax cable from the ont is bad or the ont has failed.

Check that the coax connectors on both end are tight.

Restart ont as documented in last post.

If still no connection then you would need a service call.

0 Likes