Fios Gateway 5 GHz Wireless radio unstable
edspyhill091
Enthusiast - Level 3

The Fios Gateway 5 GHz Wireless radio is unstable.  This is my second Fios Gateway router and I'm having the same problem.  The 5 GHz signal is very weak.  There a spots where the signal is unavailable yet the 2.4 GHz.  I even installed aWi-Fi range extender (the one Verizon sells) but the signal did not improve

I'm thinking that the Fios Gateway Wi-Fi radios are crap.  I think the best way to proceed is to buy a solid wireless router and shutoff the Fios Gateway wireless radios.

Can anyone recommend a wireless router with a usable 5 GHz radio?  I think a commercial Wi-Fi router is the best way to go.

Thank you.

I have tried to get Verizon to come out and check my Verizon equipment but that is impossible.   Notice that when you make an service appointment, Verizon calls every morning and if you don't push the right button, they CANCEL your service call.  This is something Congress needs to legislate - SERVICE. 

I'm thinking of going back to Comcast.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios Gateway 5 GHz Wireless radio unstable
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

The 5G on the FQG is weak and does not go through walls that well. The 5G is only meant to be used close to the router in an open area otherwise use the 2.4 radio instead.

View solution in original post

Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

The 5G on the FQG is weak and does not go through walls that well. The 5G is only meant to be used close to the router in an open area otherwise use the 2.4 radio instead.

edspyhill091
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a WiFi extender in line of sight of the Fios Gateway router and the 5GHz channel is still unstable.  At this point I have to assume I can't use the 5GHz channel so I will return the Fios Gateway router rather than pay the monthly fee for an inferior router.  This router is slow even for wired access.  For whatever reason the Fios Gateway routers are not compatible with my Verizon equipment.  My ActionTec is faster and more reliable.  I will also get the most powerful 2.4GHz wireless router and use that as a separate wireless access point instead of the wireless radios in the Verizon routers.

I can't imagine busineses putting up with these problems when it comes to 5GHz channels.

Thanks.

Ed

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Do not return it. The problem is going to be fixed in the next router update. It is the router firmware.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

For improved wireless range, please try using any channel from Channel 149 and up. Most devices will transmit at higher power levels. Anything less than that is either a power-variable "DFS" range that radar may operate on, or a lower power, made-for-density channel such as Channels 36, 40, 44, and 48.

0 Likes
luvdairish
Enthusiast - Level 1

There should be a bigger thread on this topic!  Too many people having issues with this router.  I too am having trouble with stability of the connection.  I can stand right next to it and the signal will drop.  Doesn't matter which device (or channel) I use.

When I call Verizon they want to spend hours troubleshooting, but WTH??  We pay a lot of money for this service.  If anything they should be sending out a tech to do that.  I just upgraded in January and have been having the same issue.  I don't have the time to be on with support for hours as their remote hands.   When I ask for the Actiontec back they told me it's no longer available.  That I should purchase a wireless extender.  It's a joke.

When is this supposed firmware release due out?

edspyhill091
Enthusiast - Level 3

The new Fios Gateway router is incredibly slow.  Drops connections at a much higher rate than my ActionTec router.  I prefer the ActionTec router I have.   BTW, I bought this about 2 years ago.  

I am sick of being an unpaid tech for Verizon.  I finally got a tech out here but he did nothing.  Told me there is no way to check the Verizon equipment,  This is what unions do - give us techs with very little technical knowledge.  All he wanted to do was swap out the router.  "Third time is the charm", he said.  In my 40+ years as a technician, that's not a solution.

Here's another example.  I disconnected the Coax Sunday night to change the new outlet box to a low voltage outlet box.  When I reconnected the Coax, I had no Internet access.  Verizon's equipment is suspect.  I had to call Verizon and get an equipment reset.

I don't know what federal agency monitors Verizon but Verizon needs some oversight.

0 Likes
edspyhill091
Enthusiast - Level 3

I switched to channel 40 and it seems a bit more stable.  That might just be an anomaly in Verizon's equipment for the last few days.

0 Likes
edspyhill091
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is a solution I think will work. 

1) Use the Fios Gateway just as a router. 

2) Shut down the wireless radios. 

3) Buy a commercial wireless access point and use that as my wireless router. 

4) Connect the dedicated, commercial wireless access point router to the Fios Gateway to get to the Internet.

Verizon should refund any monthly fees we have paid to test their router.

0 Likes
davemoore1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you disable the wireless on the verizon router, your on demand content will no longer work.

0 Likes