Re: Fios Internet and the new Google Wifi mesh routers
jonjones1
Legend

@Flynnibus wrote:

The issue is google wifi doesn't run as AP mode when using it as a mesh router.  It must be the nat router

https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6280578?hl=en

Yep here is the various ways to use it. 

0 Likes
Champ2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was able to successfully hookup google wifi with the fios gateway router.

Everything works - TV/Phone/Internet/On demand/Guide/DVR

The only thing that I am not able to do is while I am connected to the google wifi network, I am not able to play any shows on my dvr through the fios app on my tablet/phone/website.  However, when I am not connected to the google wifi, like using the phones LTE conenction, I am able to use the fios app to watch what I have on my dvr. 

Any clues to what is going on or how to fix this?  I have had no luck so far, even after calling support. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Check IP address of phone vs STB.

Could be on a different subnet which may cause a routing issue.

0 Likes
Champ2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yup, It sure is on a different subnet.  Google WiFi bumps the 3rd group up by one where you always are on a different subnet.  I tried bridging the fios router with no success also.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You will need to put routing in FIOS router to point to address behind Google Mesh.

Champ2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Would by chance have directions on how to do that?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I do not.

Try googling it.

Or try looking at menus to see how to add routes.

0 Likes
belltanic

I love Google wifi system. Replaced an old Actiontec, provisioned with ethernet. No TV.

From puck 3    2 floors down getting 100/100 up and down. 

0 Likes
dabernstein

I'm currently paying for the premium Fios modem / wifi router.  I'd love to drop that expense (either totally or at least partially) if I get a mesh set-up.  I have an old modem/router that I Fios gave me about 7 years ago.  I think I have 75/75 upload/download with Fios.  Do you know if the older modem should be able handle those types of speeds so I can have the Google Mesh take over the wireless part, or does it depend on the modem?

0 Likes
GASMAN2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I turned off the FiOS Quantum’s wireless radio and set up the mesh system and it’s working great. However, not being able to use the FiOS tv app is a dealbreaker for me. I was thinking of turning the Quantum wireless radio back on, but assigning it a different SSID from the one I created through the Google WiFi unit that’s plugged into the back of the Quantum. My hope is that this will allow the Quantum to communicate with the Verizon STBs and that I would be able to use the FiOS tv app by connecting my phone or tablet to that SSID when needed. Has anyone here tried this yet?

0 Likes