Fios Internet limited connectivity for vista
akar
Enthusiast - Level 3
I am so frustrated with verizon support, after they switched me from dsl to fios, I am not able tonconnect my desktop to Internet neither by wireless nor by Ethernet cable. Can someone please have some solutions I can try
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios Internet limited connectivity for vista
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Can you connect to the router at 192.168.1.1 with your XP laptop?  It might help to be able to see some of the config settings in router.

That 169.xxx IP address is a local only address so your Vista desktop is not getting an IP assigned by the router's DHCP server.  You could try to assign a static IP address to the desktop machine to see if that helps.  To try that:

Local Area Connection Properties  > Right click on Interntet Protocol V4 > Properties.  (You can uncheck V6 while you're there.)

Fill in:

Use the following IP address

IP address: 192.168.1.10

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway:  192.168.1.1

Use the following DNS server addresses:

Save those settings and see if that lets you connect to the Internet.  You can always reset to Optain IP automatically.

Note:  The DNS server addresses I listed should work.  They may or may not be the fastest in your location but if a static IP connects you to the Internet you can worry about that later.

View solution in original post

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Changing from DSL to Fios shouldnt have been an issue. Its just a different transmission medium, the connections are the same.

Especially on the wired connection. It should simply be plug and play. The only thing I can think of is that your computer had a static IP set in it that is incompatible with the Fios router.

You said you have vista. So try this

Click on start...go to NETWORK...Click on NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER...then click MANAGE NETWORK CONNECTIONS. You should see your LAN Icon here. Right click on the LAN Icon and select "properties". In the properties window click once on the item that says "internet protocol v4" and then click the "properties" button. Make sure that the "obtain IP address automatically" is selected. If not select it and save. If this was wrong now exit out and try your conneciton again. Also if this was wrong, follow the same instructions for the wireless except select your wireless icon instead of the LAN icon.

prisaz
Legend

Also some users have reported issues when the connection was set to public network. As long as you are not connecting to a public network, try setting it to private if it is not. Note that to the right of the connection there is a link to customize. My connection shows multiple networks because of some things my networks has.

akar
Enthusiast - Level 3
It is set to dynamic.
0 Likes
akar
Enthusiast - Level 3
Tried private too. Does not work shows me limited connectivity
0 Likes
akar
Enthusiast - Level 3
Any new idea's .. Thinking to buy new Ethernet card may me that will resolve the issues
0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Did the FiOS installer connect to the Internet before he left?

Are you using the standard coax-to-router configuration, and an Actiontec router?

Do you have another PC you can try, maybe a friend's laptop, etc?

What results do you get if you open a command prompt and run ipconfig ?

And if you are running a standard configuration with a Verizon router, can you connect to it at 192.168.1.1 ?

akar
Enthusiast - Level 3
Yea fios Guys connected me through a xp laptop and iPhone which works good. Xp is my office laptop. Ipconfig : ipv4 address 169.254.106.129 default gateway is blank and subnet mask , 255.255.0.0

192.168.1.1 cannot connect. Yes I have actiontec router with coaxial cable . And thanks very much for help
0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Can you connect to the router at 192.168.1.1 with your XP laptop?  It might help to be able to see some of the config settings in router.

That 169.xxx IP address is a local only address so your Vista desktop is not getting an IP assigned by the router's DHCP server.  You could try to assign a static IP address to the desktop machine to see if that helps.  To try that:

Local Area Connection Properties  > Right click on Interntet Protocol V4 > Properties.  (You can uncheck V6 while you're there.)

Fill in:

Use the following IP address

IP address: 192.168.1.10

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway:  192.168.1.1

Use the following DNS server addresses:

Save those settings and see if that lets you connect to the Internet.  You can always reset to Optain IP automatically.

Note:  The DNS server addresses I listed should work.  They may or may not be the fastest in your location but if a static IP connects you to the Internet you can worry about that later.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

well since you did try a static IP already, and you have other devices that connect OK. I would normally think you had a bad nic also, but you said that you tried wirelessly and it didnt work either. I seriously doubt both your nic and wireless went out at the same time. Sounds more like a setting problem on the computer that we dont see.

Just so you can say you did, try a reset on the router (hold reset button for 10 seconds with it turned on).

Also you may want to try rebuilding the TCP/IP stack on the computer.

Hold the windows key on the keyboard and hit 'R'. That will open the run box.

Type:

netsh int ip reset log.txt

the command prompt should open then close

Then reboot the computer.

See if that gets you online

If not, go to the command prompt and do an IP config release/renew

See what kind of error it gives.