FiOS Quantum router and now Epson Workforce 845 does not print.
Pugs11

Well after 2 accidental hangups from Verizon Techs midtroubleshooting and then waiting on the phone for 45 minutes for someone to pick up, here we are with the cutting edge of customer service, posting on a group for volunteers to solve the issues.  Nice use of my $2500 a year Verizon.

Now, rant over. On to tech.

Upgraded to Quantum.  We have a router in the basement, extender on ground floor and printer on floor 2.  Multiple Mac desktop and mobile devices behave the same way and can no longer get to our printer.  Here's what I've done.

1) Rebooted router and extender (several times.) 

2) Rejoined Printer to wireless (several times)

3) Connected via WPA (successfully)

4) Removed and added the printer to the computers.

4) Reduced security level on router

a) The router thinks the printer is connected and it pings fine from the router.  

b) All software is up to date on all devices and the router

At wits end on this. Suggestions? If Verizon would care to finish my support phone calls I'm happy to answer that too.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FiOS Quantum router and now Epson Workforce 845 does not print.
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello Pugs1,

When you upgraded to Quantum, did Verizon send you the new G1100 router? Or are you still using the same Actiontec router as before (picture below)?

If you recieved the G1100, I'm assuming the WiFi network changed? I've seen printers get hung up all the time when switching over to a different network. I'm assuming you reset the Epson's wifi settings since you stated you re-connected it several times, but just for good measure make sure you do a clean wipe of the network settings (Instructions on the Epson website).

However, you stated that you can see the printer appear in the router menu, and that it pings fine? To help troubleshoot, take the IP address of the printer you see on the router's web interface, and ping it from your local computer (on mac, go to the top right corner and click the magnifying glass icon, type in "Terminal", and press enter). Then from the terminal window, type ping 192.168.1.X

If the printer's IP pings from your computer, then its most likely a software issue rather than a networking issue. Have you tried factory resetting the Epson?

View solution in original post

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello Pugs1,

When you upgraded to Quantum, did Verizon send you the new G1100 router? Or are you still using the same Actiontec router as before (picture below)?

If you recieved the G1100, I'm assuming the WiFi network changed? I've seen printers get hung up all the time when switching over to a different network. I'm assuming you reset the Epson's wifi settings since you stated you re-connected it several times, but just for good measure make sure you do a clean wipe of the network settings (Instructions on the Epson website).

However, you stated that you can see the printer appear in the router menu, and that it pings fine? To help troubleshoot, take the IP address of the printer you see on the router's web interface, and ping it from your local computer (on mac, go to the top right corner and click the magnifying glass icon, type in "Terminal", and press enter). Then from the terminal window, type ping 192.168.1.X

If the printer's IP pings from your computer, then its most likely a software issue rather than a networking issue. Have you tried factory resetting the Epson?

Pugs11

Yes, a new G1100 router was part of the package.

I can ping the printer from the router (via the test connectivity button) but pinging the printer from the computer (via both the terminal window or via the network utility) yields a failure.

I have reset and reconnected the printer both via the standard as well as the WPA method and it goes on-line but as noted neither computer can find the printer when you send a print job.  The control panel on the printer indicates it's connected fine.

That makes sense if the ping from the computer fails it can't find it but it seems the router can.   The common theme/nexus seems to the router.

(and I appreciate your help)

0 Likes