11-04-2021 06:04 AM - edited 11-04-2021 07:39 AM
Static route for a local LAN segment added to G3100 route table (via Web GUI -> Advanced -> Network Settings -> Routing -> Routing Table -> New Route) eventually fails, and no longer routes.
G3100 has IP address of 192.168.1.1. I have two networks in my home: LAN1: 192.168.1.0/24, and LAN2: 192.168.2.0/24. I have a separate internal router (Ubiquiti EdgeRouterX) with LAN1 address of 192.168.1.2, and LAN2 address of 192.168.2.1. To facilitate routing of traffic from LAN1 to LAN2, I add a static route statement to the G3100 to point all traffic destined for 192.168.2.0/24 to 192.168.1.2 (see attached screenshot).
This is functional (and shows as status "Applied") for some period of time, typically a few hours, but then always eventually goes to a status of "Failed" and no longer routes traffic. I have to delete and re-create the route statement to get things routing again. As a workaround, I can add a static route statement to my workstations on LAN1 to route traffic to the Ubiquiti router for LAN2 traffic (bypassing the G3100), but this isn't very scalable, and not how routing should work.
This appears to be a bug, any thoughts? Nothing of relevance in any logs that I've found. This has been occurring for many months.
I wanted to add some additional data, evidence of which can be seen in attached screenshot to this post. I have further tested by adding an additional route statement (192.168.3.0/24 to gateway 192.168.1.3), this network and gateway do not exist on my network. Similar to the route added in the prior post (where network and gateway do actually exist), this shows as "Applied" on save, but eventually goes into a "Failed" status. It had been suggested that there was potentially some interaction between the Fios router and my Ubiquiti router in the prior example, I believe this disproves that.
Anyone from Verizon able to weigh in on this?
I have a very similar issue. 1 outside network ran by the quantum router and an inside vlan on a layer 3 switch. My route works all the time until the router is rebooted and then route fails. I have to then edit the route and resave to get it working. I think rebooting the switch also resolves the problem. None of which are viable solutions since I have cameras on the VLAN. Would love to get some response from Verizon on what seems to be a bug.
This now does with almost certainty seem to be due to the router rebooting, and not retaining the static route statements. My router just rebooted 15 minutes ago, and once back up, all my static routes went to a Failed status. It seems like this should be a pretty trivial bug to fix, by just marking the route statements as persistent, but assume that would require a software update. Would like to get some input on whether or not that's on the Verizon roadmap.
Also, unrelated, but pretty annoying and disruptive that the router just reboots whenever it wants to. Sometime overnight would seem a better option.