FIOS Router - Remote Access to Home Network (resources)
bqs

Need help.  How do I punch a hole in my FIOS router so that I can allow remote access to my home netowork.  Specially, I have a Internet webcam (IP webcam) that I would like to access from outside my network.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Router - Remote Access to Home Network (resources)
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

I assume you want to take remote control of some machine inside your network??

If so you would go into port forwarding on your router and forward port 3389 to the ip address of the machine you want to take control of - obviously helps if you first make the machine you want to control have a ststic ip address.

Set the local host to the ip address

Give it name, the norm would be RDP

set tcpany->3389

set updany->3389

forward to port same as incoming port

schedule always

say ok

You can now connect from the your machine by running mstsc.exe

BE AWARE there are security risks in doing this.  I would suggest that you actually change the listening port of the remote machine - for how to see

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306759

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Router - Remote Access to Home Network (resources)
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Should have added that you need to allow remote access on the remote machine.

Right mouse click my computer, select properties and then the remote tab.  By default the administrator who does this will be allowed access.  You can create other users and allow them access also, with less than admin rights.

To use remote access the user MUST have a password as otherwise it won't allow connection.

If you change the listening port Remote Assistance will no longer work.

If all you want to do is see what is on the camera you would be far better off displaying it via a web server then allowing access to the web server - far less of a security risk than RDP.

0 Likes