G3100 not allowing me to access a personal website on local machine.
Another_Guy
Enthusiast - Level 1

My previous FIOS router would allow me to access a personal website on one of my computers buy entering the IPv4 address appearing on the WAN status.  The new G3100 always presents the router login screen instead.  I can reach the site internally using the machine’s local address, but am unable to reach it from the internet.  Please advise.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: G3100 not allowing me to access a personal website on local machine.
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you upload a screenshot of your G3100 port forwarding GUI? This is hard to get the correct configuration using words.

You need Custom Ports, Advanced, Protocol TCP, Source Port Any, Dest Port 8080, Forward to port 80.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Before giving you a possible solution, I just want to inform you that the TOS of the residential service prohibits hosting services. Your account maybe suspended or closed due to violating the TOS.

jonjones1
Legend

I didn’t read anything in the post even suggesting a server was being hosted.

accessing a local machine via Telnet or via https via the net is not hosting.

it’s done all the time. Like accessing a work computer etc.

0 Likes
Another_Guy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Each December is use this personal website to pass  commands to my Christmas Light Show software when I want it to play a specific song.  Since I am the only one on planet earth doing this, it does not seem like hosting to me.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since more than likely you are so close, here is a clue in the right diction as to what it is going on.

On my Linksys E4200 v1 that is running Tomato - third party firmware, I have these options for loop back / reverse NAT: Off, All and Forward Only.

If I set the router to All for this feature, if I am behind my router trying to access the public IP Address (or DDNS that points to the public IP Address) directly (no Proxy Server or VPN in use) it is as if remote control of the router is turned on. Which sounds to me, what is happening over there.

If I set the router to Off for this feature, if I am behind my router trying to access the public IP Address (or DDNS that points to the public IP Address) directly - I can not connect to anything.

If I set the router to Forward Only for this feature, if I am behind my router, with a web server listening on port 80, I am forwarding that port to that server and I enter my the public IP Address (or DDNS that points to the public IP Address) directly - then I can connect to my server.

However not all routers support this OR if they support this feature not all of them have the same options (ex only allow or deny).

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

As to fix, will that depends..

Only have FIOS Internet? Considering getting and using your own router. With at least two catches to that - beside the loop back/ reverse NAT issue:

#1 Must switch from Moca to Ethernet. This mean both at the ONT and your end.

#2 They will only support you up to the ONT when you get and use your own router.

FIOS TV too = Can get more complex. Since I do not have or ever have FIOS OR even FIOS TV, I can not help that much. I just know some how and way you must use their router too.

ex Primary router yours the FIOS router setup to act as it was only a hub/switch/WAP and that FIOS router handing the Moca ??

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is a "NAT hairpinning" problem.  The G3100 is reported to behave differently than the G1100.  Here's a thread from last year that discuss this issue and presents some solutions:

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Port-forwarding-only-works-seen-from-outside-my-local-ne...

P.S.  It's unlikely you'll have a TOS issue unless you're running a commercial web site out of your home.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Another_Guy wrote:

Each December is use this personal website to pass  commands to my Christmas Light Show software when I want it to play a specific song.  Since I am the only one on planet earth doing this, it does not seem like hosting to me.

Ok. I am convinced now...

When you type in your WAN IP, if only the router GUI shows up, that means you have not disabled remote administration. ("Attention: With Remote Administration enabled, your network will be at risk from outside attacks.") Quoted from G1100 Interface.

Even with the Remote Administration enabled, the 80 port should not be occupied. Major browsers probably defaults to access the 443 port, which hosts the router GUI if you have not disabled.

If you don't mind type in extra port numbers next to your IP address, then just port forward your internal computer's 80 port to a different WAN port, such as 8080 or 8088. Go to G3100's Firewall, Port Forwarding > Select IP from menu [your internal IP for the computer], Applications to forward... [choose Custom Ports]

Click Advanced. Advanced Setting: Protocol TCP (HTTP and HTTPS is TCP), Source Port: Any, Destination Port > Specify [your desired outside port, can be 8080 or other non-occupied pots], Forward to Port > Specify [80 for HTTP], Schedule [choose your schedule if you want]. Click Apply. Then you should be done.

My steps are based on G1100 router. Steps may differ, but no significantly, on G3100 router. This feature is not officially supported by Fios Technical Support. Issues arising from this configuration are not handled by Fios Technical Support, but you can get help from the Forums.

0 Likes
Another_Guy
Enthusiast - Level 1

First, let me thank for your efforts on my behalf.  Next, let me state I am rather a novice at networking and totally self-taught in this regard.  Assuming I understand the instructions properly, Under Advanced->PortForwarding Rules I have modified rule Protocol HTTP to TCP8080->80.  I then pasted my IPv4 address with port :8080 appended as {edited for privacy} as the browser target address.  I get a reply that {edited for privacy} refused the connection.

I then checked Advanced->RemoteAdministration.  There is box that is unchecked labeled “Using Primary HTTPS Port (443).  I see no other setting and assume since the box is unchecked the option is not active.

After that failed I tried adding under Firewall->PortForwarding to add IP address 192.168.1.4 and application to forward HTTP which yielded rule HTTP TCP8080->80 with a check mark next to the rule. I then click apply, but strangely the check mark next to the rule does not dim as other check marks next to rules.  I leave the page and return, but the check mark remains the same.  I have no idea if this is a problem or not.  I again attempt to reach {edited for privacy} and am again refused connection.  Throughout this process I am still able to reach 192.168.1.4 successfully.

I then through Windows 10 ISS add a binding rule for the website to port 8080 with IP address 192.168.1.4.  The ISS software displayed the new rule with an option to browse 192.168.1.4:8080(http), which I did successfully from that software.  However when using the browser to reach 192.168.1.4:8080 I was unsuccessful and timed out.  I am still successful with 192.168.1.4.

At this point I was out of ideas.  Again, your assistance is greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry, there is a misunderstanding. Do not go to the Advanced section to change the Port Forwarding Rules. I am trying to ask you to click the Advanced button on the same page where you would configure the port forwarding rules.

I will try to upload some screenshot for you.

0 Likes