G3100 router drops wifi when a new computer starts
kpaj
Enthusiast - Level 1

Got the new router and most devices are connecting to the 5GHz Wifi. When someone opens up their laptop, everyone’s Wifi drops for a few seconds and the circle on the front of the router goes orange/red. Not sure why this is happening. Every device is setup DHCP. I’m using the default subnet settings. I tried disabling UPNP, set wifi to 802.11ac (wifi5) only, but this hasn’t helped. We’ve had the router less than a week, and we can notice an increase in speed, but the reliability is not good. 

Anyone else have this issue? Also, can’t seem to find anywhere in the menus to check for a firmware upgrade...

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: G3100 router drops wifi when a new computer starts
kpaj
Enthusiast - Level 1

I set the computers to use static IP addresses and that seemed to fix the issue. 

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Q1 Which light goes orange/red?

Q2 While we get that you have FIOS Internet, do you also have FIOS TV?

Please note for this next question even if you have another one that is not use, you must say so. For example: Yes, but it is a spare.

Q3 Do you have a separate router?

Please note for this next question: One of the NICs must be a wired NIC and it should not be a portable type of computer (ex: a laptop).

Q4 Do you have spare computer that works that either has two NICs or you could add a second NIC?

kpaj
Enthusiast - Level 1

I set the computers to use static IP addresses and that seemed to fix the issue.