gigabit speeds through fios ONT?
gpw7777

can i get gigabit speeds connecting to the FIOS internet service?

i have a gigabit home wired network.

the fios tech support said i need to use their actiontec router for my fios TV service due to needing the coax connection.  but the actiontec router looks like it only supports 10/100.  

is there a way to connect to the fios internet at gigabit speeds?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: gigabit speeds through fios ONT?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

fios doesn't do gigabit ethernet yet,  they will but not right now.   so the best speed you could get out of the internet anyways is 35 mb,  I think a 50 and 100mb will be coming out soon, but because of that, the actiontec is more than adequate for internet access.

you can still piggy back your gigabit switch to the equipment, and acheive those speeds on your lan, but the second you hit the net, it gets choked down to whatever speed plan you subscribed too.

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

fios doesn't do gigabit ethernet yet,  they will but not right now.   so the best speed you could get out of the internet anyways is 35 mb,  I think a 50 and 100mb will be coming out soon, but because of that, the actiontec is more than adequate for internet access.

you can still piggy back your gigabit switch to the equipment, and acheive those speeds on your lan, but the second you hit the net, it gets choked down to whatever speed plan you subscribed too.

prisaz
Legend

@gpw7777 wrote:

can i get gigabit speeds connecting to the FIOS internet service?

i have a gigabit home wired network.

the fios tech support said i need to use their actiontec router for my fios TV service due to needing the coax connection.  but the actiontec router looks like it only supports 10/100.  

is there a way to connect to the fios internet at gigabit speeds?

FIOS goes not support gigabit at this time. Perhaps in the future. If you wish to fun all your computers gigabit, but use a gigabit switch, and connect one of the LAN ports to the Verizon supplied router LAN port. All your computers will run gigabit and they will recieve what ever bandwith you are etting from Fios.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

You deserve Kudos for having a faster mouse finger in addition to accepted solution. My fat fingers typed fun when they should have typed run.

0 Likes